Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

mysql default password first time sandbox login

New Contributor

Hi I am a newbie to HDP, I downloaded the HDP and run with virtualbox. However, when i tried to access the mysql database for the first time after ssh into the sandbox VM, I encountered the following error:

[root@sandbox-hdp ~]# mysql -uroot

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Originally I thought that maybe mysql does require any password for the first time login, therefore i tried to use "hadoop" as the password as suggested in some of the posts i googled, but again the access was denied:

[root@sandbox-hdp ~]# mysql -uroot -phadoop

mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I have also followed this post https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/86949/error-1045-28000-access-denied-for-user-root.html but the suggested solution was not working for me:

1. # mysql -u root -p
  2. Enter password: hadoop
  3. ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I even tries other means such as

[root@sandbox-hdp ~]# mysql -root -h 0.0.0.0

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

I am using the latest HDP sandbox which is version 2.6.5

[root@sandbox-hdp ~]# sandbox-version

== Sandbox Information ==

Platform: hdp-security

Build date: 06-18-2018

Ambari version: 2.6.2.0-155

Hadoop version: Hadoop 2.7.3.2.6.5.0-292

Any help will be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New Contributor

Many thanks for the suggestions from Eric and Sai, I think there may be something wrong with my mysql root access as Eric's suggestion not working for me either:

[root@sandbox-hdp ~]# mysql -uroot -phadoop -hlocalhost

mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I ended up reset the password using the following approach

systemctl stop mysqld

systemctl set-environment MYSQLD_OPTS="--skip-grant-tables --skip-networking"

systemctl start mysqld

mysql -uroot

Once in the mysql, run:

FLUSH PRVILEGES;

UPDATE PASSWORD FOR root@'localhost'=PASSWORD('hadoop')

FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

QUIT;

Once log out from mysql, clear the environment MYSQLD_OPTS and restart mysql server

systemctl unset-environment MYSQLD_OPTS

systemctl restart mysqld

mysql -uroot -phadoop

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

New Contributor

Hello @Ram B, you need to set your new password in the hive metastore also.

You can make it through Ambari UI: Login to the Ambari Dashboard --> click on hive --> Configs --> then Advanced -->under Hive Metastore section --> change the password (your root new password) --> then restart All. Now hive should be working with no problems.

New Contributor

Thanks Sagar and Ryad.

I changed mysql root password to 'hortonworks1', then hive metastore started working. After that i can change ambari dashboard->hive->configs->advanced password change (before that it was grayed out cannot change the password). Another point when i change the password in ambari->hive, i need to change root password in mysql login also.