Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

"ambari-server setup" fails instantly with "line 84: line: unbound variable"

Explorer

Getting a weird issue : "ambari-server setup" fails instantly when running it for the first time. Getting this : "line 84: line: unbound variable"

context :

Trying to install a new HDP 2.6 cluster onto physical hardware (for a POC). Running CentOS 6.9 - fresh OS install. Following this doc : https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.6.1.0/bk_ambari-installation/content/set_up_the_a...

Added the Ambari repo, installed the ambari package(ambari-server-2.6.1.0-143.x86_64) then proceeded to follow the rest of the documentation but can't find the issue here.

It's not the first time I spool up such cluster but it is the first time with this specific version - any ideas what could be the issue?

Line 84 is a simple version calculation : "numversion=$(( 10 * $majversion + $minversion))" not sure where this is coming from.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

Found the problem a couple of minutes after posting this.

After reviewing installation logs, the RPM package did not install successfully... but was reported as successful :

[...]
Running Transaction
 Installing : ambari-server-2.6.1.0-143.x86_64                                      1/1
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.SHIahM: line 27: //var/lib/ambari-server/install-helper.sh: Permission denied
[...]

==> Turns out the /var mount point on this very specific machine (configuration management issue) was mounted noexec. Fixed the mount, reinstalled the RPM and I can proceed now.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Explorer

Found the problem a couple of minutes after posting this.

After reviewing installation logs, the RPM package did not install successfully... but was reported as successful :

[...]
Running Transaction
 Installing : ambari-server-2.6.1.0-143.x86_64                                      1/1
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.SHIahM: line 27: //var/lib/ambari-server/install-helper.sh: Permission denied
[...]

==> Turns out the /var mount point on this very specific machine (configuration management issue) was mounted noexec. Fixed the mount, reinstalled the RPM and I can proceed now.

Hello I have the same error but my /var is mounted noexec but ambari-server setup doesn't work! any help please