Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

sqoop import error

Explorer

I am trying to import a table named 'widgets' in the data base 'Testdb' with the command below:

$sqoop import --connect jdbc:mysql://hadoop/Testdb --table widgets -m 4 -username root -P

I get the error "Got exception running Sqoop: java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not load db driver class: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Aymen Rahal

If you do not have the mysql driver in your host then please install it as following:

# yum install mysql-connector-java*
# cp -f /usr/share/java/mysql-connector-java.jar  /usr/hdp/current/sqoop-client/lib/

If you do not want to use "yum" to install mysql-connector-java then you can also download the tar archive of the connector from the following site and then put the extracted JAR (mysql-connector-java*.jar) inside the "usr/hdp/current/sqoop-client/lib/"

https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/j/

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Explorer

The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server. com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure

Explorer

everything is ok, may be i have to add the port to jdbc:mysql://hadoop:3306 right ?

Master Mentor

@Aymen Rahal

Yes 3306 is the default port for MySQL.

So better to add it in the URL.

# sqoop import --connect jdbc:mysql://hadoop:3306/Testdb --table widgets -m 4 --username root --password CHANGEME --driver com.mysql.jdbc.Driver<br>

Also please check if you are able to login to MySQL using command line or not?

# mysql -u root -p

Explorer

I get this error:

18/03/09 01:01:51 ERROR tool.ImportTool: Encountered IOException running import job: java.io.IOException: No columns to generate for ClassWriter at org.apache.sqoop.orm.ClassWriter.generate(ClassWriter.java:1659) at org.apache.sqoop.tool.CodeGenTool.generateORM(CodeGenTool.java:107) at org.apache.sqoop.tool.ImportTool.importTable(ImportTool.java:488) at org.apache.sqoop.tool.ImportTool.run(ImportTool.java:615) at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.run(Sqoop.java:147) at org.apache.hadoop.util.ToolRunner.run(ToolRunner.java:76) at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.runSqoop(Sqoop.java:183) at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.runTool(Sqoop.java:225) at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.runTool(Sqoop.java:234) at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.main(Sqoop.java:243)

Master Mentor

@Aymen Rahal

The current error is completely different from the one which was mentioned in the original thread so it might confuse the users who hit the same issue described in the Original thread.

Encountered IOException running import job: java.io.IOException: No columns to generate for ClassWriter at org.apache.sqoop.orm.ClassWriter.generat

Hence i will request you to please mark this HCC thread as "answered" by clicking on the "Accept" button and then open a new thread with the current error. Thats helps many community users to quickly find one specific error with one specific answer.