Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

vmware sandbox path exporting/symbolic link update script?

New Contributor

Hi all,

I am trying to run a simple kafka example using vmware version of the sandbox and also using this post below as a guide

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/experimenting-apache-kafka-andy-faibishenko

When I start up the sandbox all of my directories which contain scripts or even a version of JAVA seem to be buried in /var/lib/docker/overlay/[somehashvalue]. They have not been added to the system PATH or symbolically linked.

Is there a startup script that does either of these things 1)symbolically links all dependencies 2) adds all dependencies to the system path. I am finding it hard to believe that I have to go through and manually update these values to run anything.

So in step 1 cd /usr/hdp/current/kafka-broker

I have no such folder structure instead I have a similar structure underneath the 'docker/overlay'

14317-kafka-broker.png

If I cd to this directory I can see that the symbolic link is broken (for all services not just kafka)

14321-kafka-broker-dir.png

I do however have the directory structure /usr/hdp/[version]/kafka available but it is also prefixed by /var/lib/docker/overlay[somehashvalue]

14322-kafka-dir.png

Here you can see the symbolic links are also broken

I tried once to freestyle fix all the broken links by pointing them to their respective directories /var/lib/docker/overlay/[somehashvalue] but I think I was ultimately missing some things. I haven't seen this issue from anyone else in the sandbox subforum so I am thinking I must be on the wrong track.

If not, can anybody walk me through my issues. My first problem occurs with the following create topic command.

bin/kafka-topics.sh --create --zookeeper localhost:2181 --replication-factor 1 --partitions 1 --topic kafkatest

where it can't find a verison of java...I see the following versions of java. Both linux cmds 'which java' and 'whereis java' return nothing. No java is available from the path

14324-java-open-jdk.png

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance

java-not-found.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New Contributor

Long story short, no more problems after a vm reboot. The directory structure no longer exists in /var/lib/docker/ ... and instead everything seems to be in the right place now. No idea what happened. I didn't do anything.

I should've tried the ol' turn it off and back on again sooner. 😞

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

New Contributor

Long story short, no more problems after a vm reboot. The directory structure no longer exists in /var/lib/docker/ ... and instead everything seems to be in the right place now. No idea what happened. I didn't do anything.

I should've tried the ol' turn it off and back on again sooner. 😞