Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

what free or opensource version will have in cdp as cloudera express is discontinued

New Contributor

what version can be used as freeware like cloudera express in present CDP after merger as i see current cloudera express is discontinued 

If there is any freeware or open source still available to use and list of components please. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@chaithanyaam 

Yes you go into production with Ambari 2.7.4 and HDP 3.1.4 but you will be liable for whatever goes wrong on your production cluster as Cloudera engineers won't be there to rescue you !! Secondly you won't able to upgrade to the newer versions as access to HDP 3.1.5 or higher as these repositories require authentication synonym of buying Cloudera support please check the support options.

Even if you have strong technical Hortonworks experts ultimately you will have to move to a paid subscription. For example, HDP 3.1.5 brought in a lot of improvements especially in hive, Hbase, hdfs see fixed issues

Having said that I would encourage you also to see the Cloudera Platform pricing

Without Cloudera support if anything goes wrong in your cluster you won't get support or any patch or bug fixes from Cloudera unless you buy a subscription I don't think you would want your production cluster running in this mode.  Taking into account the above situation it would be wiser to get a subscription for ONLY your production cluster.
CDP has for now been released for AWS and Azure  I am not sure about the on-premise offering  nor a Sandbox
Hope that helps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Master Mentor

@chaithanyaam 

AFAIK there is no free version of CDP. You must be a CDP Data Center customer to access these downloads the current CDP release run in AWS and Azure I am not sure when the on-prem offering will be released.
Ambari was dropped in favor of Cloudera Manager in CDP but if you really want to continue practicing or working with Cloudera product the best option is using the HDP 3.1.4 which is the last free offering while downloading the HDP 3.1.5 you will need to be a Cloudera customer.
The major difference between the HDP 3.1.4 and 3.1.5 is the Hive Warehouse Connector (HWC) Spark and Hive share a catalog in Hive metastore (HMS) instead of using separate catalogs which wasn't the case with earlier versions. The shared catalog simplifies the use of HWC in reading Hive external tables from Spark, you no longer need to define the table redundantly in the Spark catalog. Also, HDP 3.1.5 introduces HMS table transformations. HMS detects the type of client for interacting with HMS, for example, Hive or Spark, and compares the capabilities of the client with the table requirement.

Hope that helps

New Contributor

So can i go with  Ambari 2.7.4 and HDP 3.1.4 for commercial production use or do we have any license to be agreed or do we liable for any in future according terms.

Master Mentor

@chaithanyaam 

Yes you go into production with Ambari 2.7.4 and HDP 3.1.4 but you will be liable for whatever goes wrong on your production cluster as Cloudera engineers won't be there to rescue you !! Secondly you won't able to upgrade to the newer versions as access to HDP 3.1.5 or higher as these repositories require authentication synonym of buying Cloudera support please check the support options.

Even if you have strong technical Hortonworks experts ultimately you will have to move to a paid subscription. For example, HDP 3.1.5 brought in a lot of improvements especially in hive, Hbase, hdfs see fixed issues

Having said that I would encourage you also to see the Cloudera Platform pricing

Without Cloudera support if anything goes wrong in your cluster you won't get support or any patch or bug fixes from Cloudera unless you buy a subscription I don't think you would want your production cluster running in this mode.  Taking into account the above situation it would be wiser to get a subscription for ONLY your production cluster.
CDP has for now been released for AWS and Azure  I am not sure about the on-premise offering  nor a Sandbox
Hope that helps

Contributor

What are the answers to this question since 2022? From what I'm seeing, links to repos of HDP 3.1.4 and earlier are behind a paywall aswell. 

Is there no free/opensource version of HDP/CDP anymore? And will never be?