Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

what's the relationship between yarn and hbase?

Explorer

Does yarn take responsibility of hbase's resource manage?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

HBase can run on YARN or without YARN. MapReduce jobs always run on YARN, so whenever there is an HBase operation that performs a MapReduce, that will be run on YARN.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@fei deng

YARN works very well for hosting HBase clusters. Some more details you can find in: http://hortonworks.com/blog/introducing-hoya-hbase-on-yarn/

Although HBase & YARN are not dependent on each other and HBase needs only HDFS for columnar store , it doesn't need mapreduce/yarn.

Explorer

thanks:-)...But when I run a bulk load import in hbase, I can see a MR job showing in YARN Resource manager UI, that makes me confused.

Expert Contributor

HBase can run on YARN or without YARN. MapReduce jobs always run on YARN, so whenever there is an HBase operation that performs a MapReduce, that will be run on YARN.

Explorer

@billie That's helpful...but when HBase run on YRAN, how to control the resource HBase takes?

Expert Contributor

With YARN applications, you specify the resources you want the containers to use when the app is launched. With HBase on YARN using Slider, you specify this in the resources.json file passed to the slider create command.

Explorer

@billie Got it...thanks, Billie:-)