Thanks for your reply Venkat. I checked 1) and 2), and can confirm that all points to augustus.massey.ac.nz and IP 192.168.1.108, and even stopping and starting Ambari does not change the report from HDFS. I then tried to update the hostname as suggested in 4), and the answer (from the logs) is: 05 Dec 2017 14:31:04,108 ERROR [main] HostUpdateHelper:561 - Exception occurred during host names update, failed org.apache.ambari.server.AmbariException: Hostname(s): it431066.massey.ac.nz was(were) not found. at org.apache.ambari.server.update.HostUpdateHelper.validateHostChanges(HostUpdateHelper.java:197) at org.apache.ambari.server.update.HostUpdateHelper.main(HostUpdateHelper.java:544) That is what I expected, as I could not find any reference to it431066 machine anywhere in the configuration files nor in any of the Ambari repository. For example, "select host_name from hosts": it427066.massey.ac.nz augustus.massey.ac.nz Again, no mention of it431066. It is a very strange problem, there must be something in one of the installation scripts that is catching an IP address from the network rather than using the one in /etc/hosts. The wrong hostname/IP is in sequence to the master server's IP number, that's the only sense I could make of the issue. I might just clean up everything and start the installation again in an isolated network and see how it goes. Thanks for your help. Andre.
... View more
Thanks for the answer Szetszwo, indeed that is the case. However, I have done that in the past with another cluster (different versions of Ambari) seemed to work fine. The reason I did that was that the nodes had 4 physical disks, and I mount them in the same directories that HDFS data goes (using a single config for HDFS for all datanodes). The server only has a single large disk, so I should have probably used a separate configuration for it. I'll try that and report back, thank again for your help. Andre.
... View more