Community Articles
Find and share helpful community-sourced technical articles
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here. Want to know more about what has changed? Check out the Community News blog.
Disclaimer:This article is based on my personal experience and knowledge.Don't take it as a standard guidelines, understand the concept and modify it for your environmental best practices and use case. Always contact Hortonworks support if its production cluster

Problem Statement: I have installed HDF-3.1 and ambari-2.6.2.2 and i am upgrading my ambari to 2.7.0.0 to upgrade my HDF to 3.2+ versions and its failing with below exception :

INFO: about to run command: /usr/java/jdk1.8.0_162/bin/java -cp '/etc/ambari-server/conf:/usr/lib/ambari-server/*:/usr/java/latest/mysql-connector-java.jar:/usr/share/java/mysql-connector-java.jar' org.apache.ambari.server.upgrade.SchemaUpgradeHelper > /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.out 2>&1
INFO:
process_pid=16599
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/ambari-server.py", line 1060, in <module>
mainBody()
File "/usr/sbin/ambari-server.py", line 1030, in mainBody
main(options, args, parser)
File "/usr/sbin/ambari-server.py", line 980, in main
action_obj.execute()
File "/usr/sbin/ambari-server.py", line 79, in execute
self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/ambari-server/lib/ambari_server/serverUpgrade.py", line 262, in upgrade
retcode = run_schema_upgrade(args)
File "/usr/lib/ambari-server/lib/ambari_server/serverUpgrade.py", line 162, in run_schema_upgrade
upgrade_response = json.loads(stdout)
File "/usr/lib/ambari-server/lib/ambari_simplejson/__init__.py", line 307, in loads
return _default_decoder.decode(s)
File "/usr/lib/ambari-server/lib/ambari_simplejson/decoder.py", line 335, in decode
obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
File "/usr/lib/ambari-server/lib/ambari_simplejson/decoder.py", line 353, in raw_decode
raise ValueError("No JSON object could be decoded")
ValueError: No JSON object could be decoded

And inspecting the ambari-server log I found this exception :

2018-09-04 06:34:55,967 ERROR [main] SchemaUpgradeHelper:238 - Upgrade failed. java.lang.RuntimeException: Trying to create a ServiceComponent not recognized in stack info, clusterName=c174, serviceName=AMBARI_INFRA, componentName=INFRA_SOLR_CLIENT, stackInfo=HDF-3.1 at org.apache.ambari.server.state.ServiceComponentImpl.updateComponentInfo

Ps: here C174 is my cluster name

Root cause : Starting from ambari-2.7.0 the order of ambari upgrade has been changed. first, we need to perform upgrade mpack command then perform the ambari-server upgrade.

The order of execution will be :

ambari-server upgrade-mpack \
--mpack=http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/HDF/centos7/3.x/updates/<version>/tars/hdf_ambari_mp/hdf-ambari-mpack-<version>-<build-number>.tar.gz \ 
--verbose
ambari-server upgrade

Please refer to document before upgrade : HDF-3.3 : https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDF3/HDF-3.3.0/ambari-managed-hdf-upgrade/content/hdf-upgr...

HDF-3.2 : https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDF3/HDF-3.2.0/ambari-managed-hdf-upgrade/content/hdf-upgr...

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎12-20-2018 06:01 AM
Updated by:

Contributors
Top Kudoed Authors