Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Accessing HDP web UI from Windows PC causes "GSSHeader did not find the right tag"

HDP version : 2.3.0 Ambari version: 2.1.0

Enabled Kerberos with Windows Active Directory (not cross-realm) from Ambari.

Confirmed kinit and curl to WebHDFS worked with an AD user.

Followed http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.1.2.0/bk_Ambari_Security_Guide/content/_configurin...

Again, confirmed kdestroy & kinit and curl to WebHDFS and NameNode UI worked with an AD user.

Now, tried to access HDP NameNode UI page from Firefox on Windows PC.

Copied /etc/krb5.conf to C:\Windows\krb5.ini.
Followed some instruction found on internet to set up Firefox.
And didn't work. The error was "GSSHeader did not find the right tag"

For troubleshooting purpose, downloaded curl.exe from http://curl.haxx.se/download.html

Trying to access HDP, for example, NameNode:50070 with curl --negotiate, and got same error "GSSHeader did not find the right tag"

Copied "/etc/security/keytabs/spnego.service.keytab" into Windows and did kinit -k -t and curl --negotiate but same error.

Does anyone know what would be missing to make Windows PC work to access secured web page?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

You're probably running into the latest JDK/Kerberos issue.

What JDK Version do you have? 1.8.0_40?

The JDK 1.8.0_40 has a bug and throws the following error:

GSSException: Defective token detected (Mechanism level: GSSHeader did not find the right tag)
The token supplied by the client is not accepted by the server.

This is because Windows sends an NTLM based ticket not a kerberos based ticket.

I had this issue a couple weeks ago, it is fixed in 1.8.0_60, so the easiest way is to upgrade the JDK on your nodes.

View solution in original post

New Contributor

I am getting same error. I have openjdk version "1.8.0_121". Hadoop cluster (HDP 2.5) is kerberized.

Could you please help me here?

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Have you tried to use another browser like Internet Explorer or Chrome? I understand that you tried curl as well as Firefox, but both may have issues on Windows.

What version of Windows are you using?

Does the user use that Active Directory to login to the Windows box or are you kinit-ing manually?

You're probably running into the latest JDK/Kerberos issue.

What JDK Version do you have? 1.8.0_40?

The JDK 1.8.0_40 has a bug and throws the following error:

GSSException: Defective token detected (Mechanism level: GSSHeader did not find the right tag)
The token supplied by the client is not accepted by the server.

This is because Windows sends an NTLM based ticket not a kerberos based ticket.

I had this issue a couple weeks ago, it is fixed in 1.8.0_60, so the easiest way is to upgrade the JDK on your nodes.

Thanks for the official Oracle bug reference. I'll see if I can raise this internally and we can change the default/recommended JDK to 1.8.0_60 in our docs

Master Mentor

@Hajime Thanks for sharing the bug details.

Expert Contributor

@Jonas Straub

I am using jdk1.8.0_60 but still facing the same issue when accessing web UI's.

Expert Contributor

@Jonas Straub

Issue is now resolved. The issue was with kerberos ticket and not with JDK. Thanks!!!

New Contributor

Hello @Shyam Shaw, could you please teach me how did you resolved this issue? Thank you.

I've googled a lot and always get this error.

Rising Star

Hey @Shyam Shaw, could you please help me with the solution for this problem ?