Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ambari Server Restarted, now Web Interface Won't Load

Contributor

I have a cluster that has been running pretty smoothly for over a month now that is rather large. I had just fixed an issue with a few DataNodes and was left with the web interface saying that 5 hosts were in maintenance mode when they were not. I tried turning mm on/off but it didn't help so I finally tried a sudo ambari-server restart

Afterwards, I tried to login again and the web interface wouldn't load. Waited a few minutes, still nada.

Looking at today's entries in /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.log had errors regarding the metric server but nothing that seemed relevant. The network settings are all the same and haven't changed, I am not sure what went wrong? Any ideas of what logs I should read or what I should try?

EDIT:

Thanks for the fast replies!!

I have attached the info requested as files so this post doesn't extend down a mile.

It looks like the ambari service is not listening on port 8080.

EDIT2:

I ended up rolling back the ambari server vm to an earlier checkpoint and luckily there weren't too many errors to deal with. I will update again if the issue comes back.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Could you also restart the ambari agents of your cluster. It'd be good to have some of the errors that you saw in the ambari-server log, could you post some of the log or upload the log file?

After you restarted the ambari server, did it show up in the process (ps -aux | grep ambari-server), also make sure you see the ambari process listening on port 8080 (netstat -anop)

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

Contributor

I had tried that initially, but no luck

Master Mentor

@Kyle Pifer Please attach /etc/ambari-server/conf/ambari.properties

Contributor

Master Mentor

@Kyle Pifer Thanks for sharing the ambari.properties. See this article

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.2.0.0/bk_ambari_reference_guide/content/_optional...

You are using default port for sure otherwise you should have client.api.port defined.

Steps:

ambari-server stop

mv/var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.log /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.log.bakup

ambari-server start

now, check whats in the log file.

Contributor

The log file looks the same. I tried defining a different port which didnt work, then I left it defined in ambari.properties as 8080 as the link you provided said but it still isnt working. Is there a problem with using port 8080?

Master Mentor

@Kyle Pifer This is very strange. No there is no problem on using problem 8080.

Whats in the log when hit the browser? netstat -anp | grep 8080

Contributor

Thats the problem, netstat shows nothing for p 8080.

Master Mentor

@Kyle Pifer I just did the same exercise in my cluster and I see this http://pastebin.com/008iBDuw

Wait for sometime and see whats coming in ...

restart agents , ambari and run tail -f /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.log

Master Mentor

@Kyle Pifer Whats the output of ambari-server start ?

Contributor

Still nothing in ambari-server log, but the agent logs are showing connection refused to ambariserver:8440