Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Apache Atlas - Report Hive Table modifications (Auditing)

Explorer

Hello,
I'm brand new to Atlas and trying to see if this capability exists.  I understand that you can use a Hive Hook and whenever a Hive table is modified, Kafka is able to communicate to Atlas and have those changes appear in Atlas.  I'm trying to see if there is any reporting or auditing features that allows you to see what those changes were?

For example: If a user modified a Hive table and added two columns and this gets replicated in Atlas, is there a way to see what change happened (columns added) and when it occurred?  

I'm not sure if this is something Atlas can do natively or if there might be 3rd party tools I could use to see this?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Hello @dhughes20 , I can see when we navigate to a Hive table in Atlas UI we have an audit tab. I tried to update the table by adding a new column. After altering the table I can see the audit is showing actions for "Entity update" and when we expand the latest entry we were able to see details like last modified time , last modified by and more details under "Parameter". 

But I am not able to find any audit log which  shows what changes were made. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Expert Contributor

Hello @dhughes20 , I can see when we navigate to a Hive table in Atlas UI we have an audit tab. I tried to update the table by adding a new column. After altering the table I can see the audit is showing actions for "Entity update" and when we expand the latest entry we were able to see details like last modified time , last modified by and more details under "Parameter". 

But I am not able to find any audit log which  shows what changes were made.