Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Apache Nifi - How to generate Email alerts in a Nifi Cluster

Expert Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to use PutEmail in my workflow to send email alert whenever something fails. I have 8 slave nodes and my dataflow is running on all slaves (meaning not just primary node)

The issue is that I get multiple emails if one processor has errors etc. I think this is because we have 8 slaves, so PutEmail is running on all 8 slaves and therefore I get multiple emails.

- Is there a way to ensure that we always get 1 Email instead of 8?

Thanks

Obaid

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

I guess it depends what you are trying to achieve. You are right that you would get an email per node in your cluster, but each email would be for the errors on that node only, so its not like you are getting 8 of the same email.

If you really want only 1 email... It would probably be easiest to use something in between as a buffer for all your errors. For example, have a Kafka topic like "errors" and have each node in your cluster publish using PublishKafka. Then have a ConsumeKafka that runs only on primary node, merges together some amount of errors, and sends to a PutEmail (or maybe Merge's together first). Could do the same thing JMS, or a shared filesystem, or anywhere you put the errors and then retrieve from.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Rising Star

The PutEmail processor can be configured to run only on the primary node. The configuration is available under the scheduling tab of the processor settings window.

Expert Contributor

Thanks @Sam Hjelmfelt for your reply,

Yes if the data lands on Primary node, PutEmail works as expected. However id the data lands on a Slave node, no Email is generated and flowfiles get stuck on connection for ever (i.e Slave nodes are not able to talk to primary node).

Following is an example flow (template is attached, please check it out):

In the below dataflow, we generate flow files and run MurgeContent (every 20 seconds) and then pass the result on to two PutEmail processors in parallel. First PutEmail is running on Primary, where as the second PutEmail processor is running on all Slave nodes (Timer event). For PutEmail on primary, it seems like for 9 generated files, only 1 got processed where as 8 got stuck on the connection (seems like slave nodes not able to talk to primary). Second PutEmail worked just fine i.e it processed all 9 flowfiles.

So, is there a way to generate 1 Email alert if a processor fails in a cluster?

PS:

7335-putemailexample.pngputemaillimitations.xml

Expert Contributor

@Sam Hjelmfelt

So far I have not being able to find a feasible way for sending alerts through Nifi cluster, and am curious to know how should I deploy alerts in production Nifi cluster.

Thanks

Expert Contributor

@Obaid Salikeen Were you able to send notification alert? I'm having this same issue and i will like to configure email alerts for NiFi where there is a failure.

Expert Contributor

@Joshua Adeleke : Yes I was able to send Email alerts through PutEmail (some time back), however I dont use it for alerts (actually still looking for a better solution).

Current approach: I implemented a ReportingTask, to send metrics to InfluxDB (particularly success/failure connection metrics) and use Capacitor for alerts (and you could use any other system to monitor metrics). So for example you could issue alerts if there are flowfiles landing on any Processor's failure channel (dosent works all the time since some processors dont have failure relationships).

However, for a more better approach, checkout Bryan's comments above !

Expert Contributor

@Obaid Salikeen Thank you for also putting up the xml file. It helped while setting up mine. I want to ask...Have you tried sending to an email group? The mail group created has a special character before it(#emailgroup@domain.com). How can i use this email group even with the special character? @Bryan Bende

Master Guru

I guess it depends what you are trying to achieve. You are right that you would get an email per node in your cluster, but each email would be for the errors on that node only, so its not like you are getting 8 of the same email.

If you really want only 1 email... It would probably be easiest to use something in between as a buffer for all your errors. For example, have a Kafka topic like "errors" and have each node in your cluster publish using PublishKafka. Then have a ConsumeKafka that runs only on primary node, merges together some amount of errors, and sends to a PutEmail (or maybe Merge's together first). Could do the same thing JMS, or a shared filesystem, or anywhere you put the errors and then retrieve from.

Expert Contributor

Thanks a lot @Bryan Bende for sharing your thoughts,

- Could you also recommend how we should monitor dataflows for detecting all failures (Other then PutEmail, would you also recommend monitoring Nifi Logs, or do you think PutEmail is a good enough solution)?

- Another idea I wanted to discuss/share: Write a reporting task, and report failures/errors to configured Email/Slack etc, this way you would not need to hookup PutEmail with each processor (considering you have many processors, connecting all with PutEmail make it look complicated/complex). by default, you could get alerts for any failure without configuring/changing flows, Any thoughts ?

Thanks again

Obaid

Master Guru

PutEmail is definitely good for specific parts of the flow. As you mentioned it can get complex quickly trying to route all the failures to a single PutEmail.

The ReportingTask is definitely a good idea. When a ReportingTask executes it gets access to a ReportingContext which has access to BulletinRepository, which then gets you access to any of the bulletins you see in the UI. You could have one that got all the error bulletins and sent them somewhere or emailed them.

Along the lines of monitoring the logs, you could probably configure NiFi's logback.xml to do UDP or TCP forwarding of all log events at the ERROR level, and then have a ListenUDP/ListenTCP processor in NiFi receive them and send an email. If you are in a cluster I guess you would have all nodes forward to only one of the nodes. This introduces possibility for circular logic, meaning if the ListenUDP/ListenTCP had problems that would generate more ERROR logs which would get sent back to ListenUDP/ListenTCP, and this produce more errors and keep doing this until the problem was resolved, but that is probably rare.