Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Apache Nifi is not starting up

New Contributor

Hi all,

I am using Nifi v 1.20. on windows 8 It used work fine. After restarting the system the nifi does not start up. I had check status Its keep getting "Apacha Nifi not running".

Thanks

Below are logs from nifi-bootstrap.log file-

2017-07-05 15:41:57,105 WARN [NiFi Bootstrap Command Listener] org.apache.nifi.bootstrap.RunNiFi Failed to set permissions so that only the owner can read pid file E:\softwares\nifi-1.2.0\bin\..\run\nifi.pid; this may allows others to have access to the key needed to communicate with NiFi. Permissions should be changed so that only the owner can read this file
2017-07-05 15:41:57,142 WARN [NiFi Bootstrap Command Listener] org.apache.nifi.bootstrap.RunNiFi Failed to set permissions so that only the owner can read status file E:\softwares\nifi-1.2.0\bin\..\run\nifi.status; this may allows others to have access to the key needed to communicate with NiFi. Permissions should be changed so that only the owner can read this file
2017-07-05 15:41:57,168 INFO [NiFi Bootstrap Command Listener] org.apache.nifi.bootstrap.RunNiFi Apache NiFi now running and listening for Bootstrap requests on port 50765
2017-07-05 15:43:12,077 ERROR [NiFi logging handler] org.apache.nifi.StdErr Failed to start web server: Unable to start Flow Controller.
2017-07-05 15:43:12,078 ERROR [NiFi logging handler] org.apache.nifi.StdErr Shutting down...
2017-07-05 15:43:14,501 INFO [main] org.apache.nifi.bootstrap.RunNiFi NiFi never started. Will not restart NiFi

Below is the stack trace from nifi-app.log file -

2017-07-05 15:43:12,077 WARN [main] org.apache.nifi.web.server.JettyServer Failed to start web server... shutting down.
org.apache.nifi.web.NiFiCoreException: Unable to start Flow Controller.
at org.apache.nifi.web.contextlistener.ApplicationStartupContextListener.contextInitialized(ApplicationStartupContextListener.java:88)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.callContextInitialized(ContextHandler.java:876)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.callContextInitialized(ServletContextHandler.java:532)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.startContext(ContextHandler.java:839)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.startContext(ServletContextHandler.java:344)
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startWebapp(WebAppContext.java:1480)
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1442)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:799)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.doStart(ServletContextHandler.java:261)
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:540)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:131)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:113)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.AbstractHandler.doStart(AbstractHandler.java:113)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:131)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:105)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.AbstractHandler.doStart(AbstractHandler.java:113)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.gzip.GzipHandler.doStart(GzipHandler.java:290)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.start(Server.java:452)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:105)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:419)
at org.apache.nifi.web.server.JettyServer.start(JettyServer.java:695)
at org.apache.nifi.NiFi.<init>(NiFi.java:160)
at org.apache.nifi.NiFi.main(NiFi.java:267)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Expected to read a Sentinel Byte of '1' but got a value of '0' instead
at org.apache.nifi.repository.schema.SchemaRecordReader.readRecord(SchemaRecordReader.java:65)
at org.apache.nifi.controller.repository.SchemaRepositoryRecordSerde.deserializeRecord(SchemaRepositoryRecordSerde.java:115)
at org.apache.nifi.controller.repository.SchemaRepositoryRecordSerde.deserializeEdit(SchemaRepositoryRecordSerde.java:109)
at org.apache.nifi.controller.repository.SchemaRepositoryRecordSerde.deserializeEdit(SchemaRepositoryRecordSerde.java:46)
at org.wali.MinimalLockingWriteAheadLog$Partition.recoverNextTransaction(MinimalLockingWriteAheadLog.java:1096)
at org.wali.MinimalLockingWriteAheadLog.recoverFromEdits(MinimalLockingWriteAheadLog.java:459)
at org.wali.MinimalLockingWriteAheadLog.recoverRecords(MinimalLockingWriteAheadLog.java:301)
at org.apache.nifi.controller.repository.WriteAheadFlowFileRepository.loadFlowFiles(WriteAheadFlowFileRepository.java:381)
at org.apache.nifi.controller.FlowController.initializeFlow(FlowController.java:712)
at org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardFlowService.initializeController(StandardFlowService.java:953)
at org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardFlowService.load(StandardFlowService.java:534)
at org.apache.nifi.web.contextlistener.ApplicationStartupContextListener.contextInitialized(ApplicationStartupContextListener.java:72)
... 28 common frames omitted
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Phanindra Kumar Paladi

That error indicates NiFi was not shutdown gracefully and now the flow file repository has become corrupted. You will have to remove the flow file repository and then restart NiFi.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

@Phanindra Kumar Paladi

That error indicates NiFi was not shutdown gracefully and now the flow file repository has become corrupted. You will have to remove the flow file repository and then restart NiFi.

New Contributor

@Wynner

Thanks, you were right After removing files from the flow file repository and content repository the nifi started normally

Worked for me as well, but after removing the following directories (NiFi 1.5):
content_repository
database_repository
flowfile_repository
provenance_repository

i will delete all repository files and start nifi but i am getting same error 

Phanikondeti_0-1633072601201.png

New Contributor

Thanks, I too got started in local and not in the server.

When the queue has hit its maximum back pressure, the process gets slow down and server fails to load NIFI UI.

Could not able to work on server side.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

New Contributor

Where do I find flowfile repository? @Wynner and @Phanindra Kumar Paladi

Hi,

I deleted this file in my ubuntu ec2 instance :

1.content_repository 

2.database_repository 

3.flowfile_repository

4.provenance_repository

and also delete file in conf ->  flow.xml.gz

after the deleting this files in my ubuntu ec2 instance i will restart nifi.sh after that the nifi is runing but i will open my ip address in chrome http://54.89.235.124:8443/ i am getting this site cann't reached error.

Phanikondeti_0-1633077546494.png

in my putty i am getting like this 

Phanikondeti_1-1633077595350.png

please help to resolve this issue

New Contributor

Sometimes, I believe the solution for this is to wait for a minute.

Master Guru

Time to upgrade. Also check the logs sometimes there's corruption, sometimes it just takes a while to restart all the stopped processes.