Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Are there any OS level changes/settings that differ between RHEL 6 and 7 for HDP which could have an impact on performance, stability, etc?

Solved Go to solution
Highlighted

Are there any OS level changes/settings that differ between RHEL 6 and 7 for HDP which could have an impact on performance, stability, etc?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Are there any OS level changes/settings that differ between RHEL 6 and 7 for HDP which could have an impact on performance, stability, etc?

Foowloing are the changes in cent os 7 :-

• New initialization system, systemd.
  • New firewall control, firewalld. This adds a more dynamic and flexible way to control the firewall module in the kernel, which is still netfilter.
  • New bootloader. GRUB2 adds rich scripting support as well as support for the new hardware options offered on modern mainboards.
  • New default filesystem, XFS. XFS adds support for larger single filesystems, faster format times (0 seconds), integrated snapshots, and live filesystem dumps for backup without first unmounting.
  • GNOME 3 – This only really applies to those who use RHEL/CentOS in the desktop, like me. As with any other distro, you aren’t locked into GNOME 3. I personally like it, but KDE is readily available and others can be found on EPEL.
  • If you are used to previous versions you may want to stick with 6. 7 has a lot of command changes

And in our env we are using Cent OS 7. Still Didn't face issue with performance etc..

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Are there any OS level changes/settings that differ between RHEL 6 and 7 for HDP which could have an impact on performance, stability, etc?

Foowloing are the changes in cent os 7 :-

• New initialization system, systemd.
  • New firewall control, firewalld. This adds a more dynamic and flexible way to control the firewall module in the kernel, which is still netfilter.
  • New bootloader. GRUB2 adds rich scripting support as well as support for the new hardware options offered on modern mainboards.
  • New default filesystem, XFS. XFS adds support for larger single filesystems, faster format times (0 seconds), integrated snapshots, and live filesystem dumps for backup without first unmounting.
  • GNOME 3 – This only really applies to those who use RHEL/CentOS in the desktop, like me. As with any other distro, you aren’t locked into GNOME 3. I personally like it, but KDE is readily available and others can be found on EPEL.
  • If you are used to previous versions you may want to stick with 6. 7 has a lot of command changes

And in our env we are using Cent OS 7. Still Didn't face issue with performance etc..

View solution in original post

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here