Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Bad : The hostname and canonical name for this host are not consistent when checked from a Java proc

Explorer

Good evening. This message I receive after add two new hosts to the hadoop cluser.

Tehnical info:

Nodes - Debian GNU/Linux 8.9 (jessie)
cloudera-manager-agent            5.13.0-1.cm5130.p0.55~jessie-cm5 amd64
cloudera-manager-daemons          5.13.0-1.cm5130.p0.55~jessie-cm5 all

Earlier we add nodes using web interface. But this 2 nodes was added by hand:

1. Add repo cloudera

2. Install packages from repo

3. Configure /etc/cloudera-scm-agent/config.ini:

server_host=hadoop-server.test.com

After start clouder agents, I saw tho strangeness In cloudera web interface:

1. All Hosts - my new host - CDH Version is None

2. Error from topic: "The hostname and canonical name for this host are not consistent when checked from a Java process."

I dont know is connected to each other this issues or not.

I try resolve second issue:

python -c 'import socket; print socket.getfqdn(), socket.gethostbyname(socket.getfqdn())'

regensburg.test.com 1.1.1.1

This command use from /etc/cloudera-scm-agent/config.ini file. Response is valid - A indicate to this IP and PTR indicate to domain name.

But, from internet space I found this command and it return other response:

java -classpath /usr/share/cmf/lib/agent-5.*.jar com.cloudera.cmon.agent.DnsTest
{"status": "0", "ip": "1.1.1.1", "hostname": "regensburg", "canonicalname": "regensburg.test.com", "localhostDuration": "4", "canonicalnameDuration": "1" }

Ok, hostname is short.

root@regensburg ~ # hostname
regensburg

root@regensburg ~ # hostname -f
regensburg.test.com

In /etc/hosts we had some records:

1.1.1.1 regensburg.test.com regensburg

Why arise this error? In other nodes we didn't receive this error, some info from working node:

root@berlin ~ # python -c "import socket; print socket.getfqdn(); print socket.gethostbyname(socket.getfqdn())"
berlin.test.com

java -classpath /usr/share/cmf/lib/agent-5.*.jar com.cloudera.cmon.agent.DnsTest
{"status": "0", "ip": "2.2.2.2", "hostname": "berlin.test.com", "canonicalname": "berlin.test.com", "localhostDuration": "4", "canonicalnameDuration": "0" }

root@berlin ~ # hostname
berlin

root@berlin ~ # hostname -f
berlin.test.com

root@berlin ~ # cat /etc/hosts | grep berli
2.2.2.2		berlin.test.com berlin

root@berlin ~ # dpkg -l | grep clouder
ii  cloudera-manager-agent                5.13.0-1.cm5130.p0.55~jessie-cm5   amd64        The Cloudera Manager Agent
ii  cloudera-manager-daemons              5.13.0-1.cm5130.p0.55~jessie-cm5   all          Provides daemons for monitoring Hadoop and related tools.

From com.cloudera.cmon.agent.DnsTest  on all other nodes we receive FQDN hostname, but on this new - short hostname.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

Just a quick clarification, the DnsTest code calls straight the Java getHostName() and getCanonicalHostName() methods to retrieve the values. The reported mismatch was either caused by the name resolution settings at that time or by nscd caching the old values on the host.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Explorer

very strange - today error about the bad hostname have gone. This issue appear in 14 february (after input new hosts to cluster) and only dissappeared 23 february. I think that this some cache on the side of Cloudera soft.

Super Collaborator

Just a quick clarification, the DnsTest code calls straight the Java getHostName() and getCanonicalHostName() methods to retrieve the values. The reported mismatch was either caused by the name resolution settings at that time or by nscd caching the old values on the host.

Expert Contributor

Hello @unix196,

Good to see issue got resolved 🙂

In addition to above response, I faced the same due to dns misconfig and dns server caching.