Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can I configure NiFi/Registry to *not* track processor state changes?

Explorer

We run multiple NiFi clusters for dev, test, integration, and failover.  After recently upgrading from NiFi 1.0.8 to 1.11.4, we've found that NiFi now registers *all* processor state changes as Registry changes.  Since these processors must be in different states between the various clusters, it's become very problematic.

Is there any way to configure NiFi and/or the Registry to ignore processor states like it used to?  I've looked through the properties files and admin docs for both, and haven't found anything configuration that supports that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Mentor

@john 

I have a HDF 3.4.1.1 cluster (Based off NiFi 1.11.4) setup and with PGs version controlled and can change processors from started to stopped to disabled without it triggering a local change.  However, HDF 3.4.1.1 ships with NiFi-Registry 0.3 and not 0.8.

I have another HDF 3.5.2 cluster (based off NiFi 1.12.1) and ships with NiFi-Registry 0.8.  In that cluster, I can also change a processor from start to stop to disabled and it does trigger a local change.
I see someone filled a Jira about this change in behavior:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-8160

The tracking of Enabled and Disabled State in NiFi-Registry was added as part of:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-6025

Hope this helps,
Matt

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Explorer

Changing states via the REST API also results in a processor change being reported.

New Contributor

I'm in the same situation upgrading Nifi and noticing that all of my processors are showing changed as a result of their state.  Having the ability to disable tracking of processor state changes would make for a more seamless upgrade.  As @John_Wise mentioned, is there anyway to accomplish this through configuration? 

Super Mentor

@John_Wise @TimA 

Let me make sure I understand exactly what change you are making.

I have Process Groups (PG) that are version controlled in my NiFi Registry.
I have both a NiFi 1.11.4 and NiFi 1.12.1 clusters setup.

If I import a flow from registry and then modify the state (start, stop, disable, enable) of any processor, my PGs do not change to say local changes exist.   The state of a processor does not track as a local change.

I suspect some other local change is being made in addition to state change.

If you right click on the PG and under "Version" from displayed context menu select "show local changes" what are the tracked changes being reported?

Hope this helps,

Matt

Explorer

@MattWho - I'm running several NiFi 1.11.4 clusters, all connected to an 0.8.0 Registry.  If I check out or update a PG on any cluster, then enable or disable any processor within that PG, the Registry state changes to modified (asterisk).  Reverting the processor state, changes the Registry state back to current (green checkmark).

I don't recall if the Registry state changed for all types (stopped, started, enabled, disabled) on NiFi 1.0.8, but on 1.11.4, the modified state only occurs when enabling or disabling a processor, not when starting or stopping it.

Super Mentor

@john 

I have a HDF 3.4.1.1 cluster (Based off NiFi 1.11.4) setup and with PGs version controlled and can change processors from started to stopped to disabled without it triggering a local change.  However, HDF 3.4.1.1 ships with NiFi-Registry 0.3 and not 0.8.

I have another HDF 3.5.2 cluster (based off NiFi 1.12.1) and ships with NiFi-Registry 0.8.  In that cluster, I can also change a processor from start to stop to disabled and it does trigger a local change.
I see someone filled a Jira about this change in behavior:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-8160

The tracking of Enabled and Disabled State in NiFi-Registry was added as part of:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-6025

Hope this helps,
Matt

Explorer

Thanks for the pointer @MattWho.  I've added a comment to NIFI-8160.