Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can we configure HBase to use multiple WAL Codecs?

Expert Contributor

We have a customer who wants to enable HBase to use multiple WAL Codecs at the same time. Is this possible?

E.g. Phoenix configuration instructions ask the user to update the value for hbase.regionserver.wal.codec. However, the customer also wants to use the NGData HBase/Solr Indexer which also requires a custom value for h.r.wal.code.

Can HBase RegionServer configuration accommodate two WAL codecs in parallel?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

It is not possible to use more than one WAL Codec at a time since it is the WALCodec which decides on the binary layout of the cells in WAL files.

Phoenix uses the WAL Codec for secondary indexing. It should be possible to run Phoenix without the WAL Codec if secondary indexing in Phoenix is not used.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Guru

It is not possible to use more than one WAL Codec at a time since it is the WALCodec which decides on the binary layout of the cells in WAL files.

Phoenix uses the WAL Codec for secondary indexing. It should be possible to run Phoenix without the WAL Codec if secondary indexing in Phoenix is not used.

@Wes Floyd

I'm not expert in this subject, but looks like HDP Search - Hbase connector uses replication and not WAL Codec, this way I think you can use both, Solr Connector + Phoenix.

https://doc.lucidworks.com/lucidworks-hdpsearch/2.3/Guide-Jobs.html#_how-the-hbase-indexer-works

Expert Contributor

Great point @Guilherme Braccialli ! I'll investigate and offer this to the customer.