Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Cloudera Quickstart VM Acting Very Slow

New Contributor

Hi,

Recently my quickstart vm has started acting very slow. Every click takes a lot of time to respond. Also the Cloudera manager takes a lot of time to be displayed.I have a system with 12gb RAM out of which i have assigned 8gb to my VM.I also make sure that there are any unnecessary processes running on my system when i am using VM.

Could someone please help me out with this problem? WIll increasing my ram help in such a case?

Thank you in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

Expert Contributor

Howdy,

Thanks for reaching out. In my experience, the Quickstart VM tends to be pretty slow, it being a single node hadoop cluster and all. I think if you want to increase responsiveness, you can try allocating more CPU cores to your VM. How many CPU cores do you currently have allocated?

New Contributor

Hi,

I had assigned 2 cores. I read somewhere that having different sizes RAM working together can cause system to go slow. SO i have increased the RAM to 16GB and created a new VM to which I assigned 8GB RAM along with 2 CPU cores.It seems to be working fine at the moment.

One thing i noticed when i was having the problem was that whenever i was starting all the services on Cloudera Manager, it used to get stuck somewhere and after that everything became sow,even after recovering the services.

Thank you both for your inputs.

Cheers.

Expert Contributor
Adding to @jmartin1938, stop un-used CDH services, it give some more RAM to the required services

New Contributor

I am new to Cloudera VM. Please let me know how to do it.

Community Manager

Hi @Shashank,

As this thread is about a year old and each situation can be different, I recommend starting a new thread explaining your specific situation and need. However, if you are simply looking for how to install the QuickStart VM, this community article should be of some assistance.  

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Explorer

Hi Jervis,

What is the new thread? Did you find a solution to it? I am using the configuration mentioned in Quickstart VM documentation. I am facing the same challenge. 

New Contributor
Nope! Did not get any solution for it!

Community Manager

@Shashank and @shamik,

As each person's setup is typically different I was suggesting you start a new thread or conversation. In this new thread you can explain your unique situation in terms of overall system specifications (RAM, number of processors, etc.) as well as how much of those resources have been allocated to the Quickstart VM.

As @jmartin1938 has pointed out the Quickstart VM in inherently slow due to being a single node cluster. The issue can be made worse if the VM is not allcated the appropriate resources or used for large scale projects. 

To start a new thread go to the appropriate board and use the "new message" button. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 10.27.59 AM.png

This will open a page for you to post the wording and title for the new thread. 

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.