Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Configure Storage capacity of Hadoop cluster

Rising Star

we have 5 node cluster with following configurations for master and slaves.

HDPMaster   35 GB   500 GB
HDPSlave1   15 GB   500 GB
HDPSlave2   15 GB   500 GB
HDPSlave3   15 GB   500 GB
HDPSlave4   15 GB   500 GB
HDPSlave5   15 GB   500 GB

But the cluster is not taking much space. I am aware of the fact that it will reserve some space for non-dfs use.But,it is taking uneven capacity for each slave node. Is there a way to reconfigure hdfs ?

PFA.

2586-namenode.png

Even though all the nodes have same hard disk, only slave 4 is taking 431GB, remaining all nodes are utilizing very small space. Is there a way to resolve this ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
@vinay kumar

I have never seen the same number for all the slave nodes because of the data distribution.

Link

To overcome uneven block distribution scenario across the cluster, a utility program called balancer

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/HDFSCommands.html#balancer

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

Master Mentor

You need to pick just one there, especially don't choose /tmp as your parent dir, asking for trouble

Rising Star

Like you said, i removed /tmp from that directories list and the capacity of all the nodes reduced to 40 gb or less including slave 4

Expert Contributor

@vinay kumar Can you help me understand where did you find the 'dfs.datanode.data.dir' property?. In my Ambari Installation, I did not find this property under 'Advanced hdfs-site' configuration.

Master Mentor
@vinay kumar

I have never seen the same number for all the slave nodes because of the data distribution.

Link

To overcome uneven block distribution scenario across the cluster, a utility program called balancer

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/HDFSCommands.html#balancer

Rising Star

I will make it clear.The Cluster is new and it don't have much data in it. As per my understanding, Available capacity is the storage available for data node(hdfs) , if i am not wrong. The actual hard disk size of each node being 500 GB and the available capacity for 5 of them is far to less than the slave 4.root folder disk capacity has more than 400gb space allocated and the same should be allocated to hdfs. My concern is where did the rest of the space go? How did the distribution thing come here when my only concern is about hdfs capacity. PFA.

2649-df.png

2637-df-h.png

Master Mentor

@vinay kumar What do you have for dfs.datanode.data.dir?

slave 4 --> / ?

Rest of the nodes are using other mounts...

Rising Star

dfs.datanode.data.dir have: /opt/hadoop/hdfs/data,/tmp/hadoop/hdfs/data,/usr/hadoop/hdfs/data,/usr/local/hadoop/hdfs/data

All the nodes have same mounts.

Rising Star

@Neeraj Sabharwal Did say anything wrong ? So the capacity is the Space allocated to hdfs right?

Master Mentor

@vinay kumar

As expected, the problem is with the disks allocated to datanode settings.

Ambari picks up all the mounts except /boot and /mnt

You were suppose to modify the settings during the installs. As you can see, data is going on /opt and other mounts and you were suppose to give only /hadoop " / has 400GB"

Now , there is no way we want to store the data on /tmp

/opt/hadoop/hdfs/data,/tmp/hadoop/hdfs/data,/usr/hadoop/hdfs/data,/usr/local/hadoop/hdfs/data

You need to create a directory as /hadoop and modify the settings to read the data from /hadoop.

Rising Star
@Neeraj Sabharwal

Does this mean that i should re-install everything?? I am still wondering about how only slave-4 got a capacity of 435 GB when every node have have configuration and same mounts.

2654-slave4.png