Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Configuring hive.users.in.admin.role

Solved Go to solution

Configuring hive.users.in.admin.role

Contributor

I am following the instruction at links below to add users to Hive admin role.

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.3.2/bk_dataintegration/content/hive-013-feature...

and

https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/4568/sql-based-authorization-in-hive.html

However, I could not find this configuration "hive.users.in.admin.role" via Ambari UI (Hive - Configs - Advanced). I downloaded the hive_site.xml (via Ambria's Download Client Configs button) and found no such configuration in the xml file either. What did I miss?

Below is my current Hive security settings.

• Authorization: SQL-Standard Based (SQLStdAuth)
  • Authentication: None
  • Run as end user instead of Hive user: False
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Configuring hive.users.in.admin.role

Mentor

@Haijin Li

To be able to help, it's a good idea to always share your cluster config and version. I can see you are referencing HDP 2.3 documentation which is obsolete and personally I am wondering why you are running this version?

Some parameters like hive.users.in.admin.role are not default values in hive_site.xml , so you will need to add them in Custom hive-site these are considered custom site values see attached screenshot Haijin2.png

110105-haijin1.png

Authorization: SQL-Standard Based (SQLStdAuth)

110132-haijin3.png

Custom values

110087-haijin2.png

The above UI is specific to HDP 3.1.0.0 running Ambari Version 2.7.3.0 but even with earlier versions of Ambari you can filter see the ARROW

HTH

2 REPLIES 2

Mentor

@Haijin Li

To be able to help, it's a good idea to always share your cluster config and version. I can see you are referencing HDP 2.3 documentation which is obsolete and personally I am wondering why you are running this version?

Some parameters like hive.users.in.admin.role are not default values in hive_site.xml , so you will need to add them in Custom hive-site these are considered custom site values see attached screenshot Haijin2.png

110105-haijin1.png

Authorization: SQL-Standard Based (SQLStdAuth)

110132-haijin3.png

Custom values

110087-haijin2.png

The above UI is specific to HDP 3.1.0.0 running Ambari Version 2.7.3.0 but even with earlier versions of Ambari you can filter see the ARROW

HTH

Highlighted

Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot

That is exactly what I missed. Thank you very much for the prompt and right-to-the-point response.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here