Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Connecting to Hadoop/Hive from .NET

Rising Star

I am working on a solution where I will have a Hadoop cluster with Hive running and I want to send jobs and hive queries from a .NET application to be processed and get notified when they are done. What is the recommended API, library here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

After a bit of research, I found the hadoopsdk on codeplex is a good place to start.

As far as very basic connection examples go, try this blog for an example, but note that the connection for HDInsight is slightly different now it's all using the templeton interface, so this will get you going:

var db =newHiveConnection(
        webHCatUri:newUri("http://localhost:50111"),
        userName:(string)"hadoop", password:(string)null);var result = db.ExecuteHiveQuery("select * from w3c");

If you are looking to do full on MapReduce on HDInsight, then you probably want to take a look at the C# MapReduce examples with the sdk on codeplex.

Note that the default HDInsight install also comes with some good samples, which include a bit of data to play with and some powershell scripts and .NET code to get you started.

If there are other recommendations I am all ears.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Rising Star

After a bit of research, I found the hadoopsdk on codeplex is a good place to start.

As far as very basic connection examples go, try this blog for an example, but note that the connection for HDInsight is slightly different now it's all using the templeton interface, so this will get you going:

var db =newHiveConnection(
        webHCatUri:newUri("http://localhost:50111"),
        userName:(string)"hadoop", password:(string)null);var result = db.ExecuteHiveQuery("select * from w3c");

If you are looking to do full on MapReduce on HDInsight, then you probably want to take a look at the C# MapReduce examples with the sdk on codeplex.

Note that the default HDInsight install also comes with some good samples, which include a bit of data to play with and some powershell scripts and .NET code to get you started.

If there are other recommendations I am all ears.

for hive queries, can't you just use odbc driver?