Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Convert select query output to CSV from beeline or impala-shell

Expert Contributor

Hello,

We are using a beeline or impala-shell to extract data from hive tables as per requirement from the end-user. However, the request for data extraction is for high records for more than 1000 or sometimes more than 3000. It is very tedious to extract using the select query and dump to excel sheet.

Is there any alternative way to take the output in a CSV file?.

Like the output of select query moves to CSV file. 

Please suggest.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

@HanzalaShaikh 

impala-shell -i <hostlb/impaladhost>:<impala-shell port> -d <db-name> -k -q

--ssl --ca_cert=<ca-cert path>

"query" -o /path/to/file.csv -B

//Sample shell command from my test bed

impala-shell -i host-10-17-102-166.coe.cloudera.com:25003 -d test_database -k --ssl --ca_cert=/opt/cloudera/security/cacert.pem -q "select * from salerecord limit 20" -o output.txt -B

Can you try the above with the updated configurations from your environment and let me know if this addresses your query.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Expert Contributor

@HanzalaShaikh 

impala-shell -i <hostlb/impaladhost>:<impala-shell port> -d <db-name> -k -q

--ssl --ca_cert=<ca-cert path>

"query" -o /path/to/file.csv -B

//Sample shell command from my test bed

impala-shell -i host-10-17-102-166.coe.cloudera.com:25003 -d test_database -k --ssl --ca_cert=/opt/cloudera/security/cacert.pem -q "select * from salerecord limit 20" -o output.txt -B

Can you try the above with the updated configurations from your environment and let me know if this addresses your query.

Expert Contributor

Hi Tushar

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. The resolution you provided has worked. I am accepting it as a solution.

Thanks once again.