Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Could not connect to HMS from HS2 and Hive Interactive com.mysql.jdbc.PacketTooBigException: Packet for query is too large (6518628 > 4194304)

Contributor

I have 3 HMS and 3 HS2 with HA enabled, from yesterday HS2 and Hive Interactive fails to connect to HMS.

In Debug mode, the HMS logs shows the below output

' DEBUG [HikariPool-1 housekeeper]: pool.HikariPool (HikariPool.java:logPoolState(390)) - HikariPool-1 - Pool stats (total=20, active=1, idle=19, waiting=0)
 DEBUG [HikariPool-2 housekeeper]: pool.HikariPool (HikariPool.java:logPoolState(390)) - HikariPool-2 - Pool stats (total=20, active=0, idle=20, waiting=0)
DEBUG [Timer for 'hivemetastore' metrics system]: impl.MetricsSystemImpl (MetricsSystemImpl.java:snapshotMetrics(422)) - Snapshotted source UgiMetrics
DEBUG [Timer for 'hivemetastore' metrics system]: impl.MetricsSystemImpl (MetricsSystemImpl.java:snapshotMetrics(422)) - Snapshotted source hivemetastore
DEBUG [Timer for 'hivemetastore' metrics system]: impl.MetricsSystemImpl (MetricsSystemImpl.java:snapshotMetrics(422)) - Snapshotted source MetricsSystem,sub=Stats
DEBUG [Timer for 'hivemetastore' metrics system]: impl.MetricsSinkAdapter (MetricsSinkAdapter.java:putMetrics(98)) - enqueue, logicalTime=190000
DEBUG [timeline]: impl.MetricsSinkAdapter (MetricsSinkAdapter.java:consume(181)) - Pushing record UgiMetrics.ugi.UgiMetrics to timeline
 DEBUG [timeline]: impl.MetricsSinkAdapter (MetricsSinkAdapter.java:consume(181)) - Pushing record hivemetastore.default.General to timeline
DEBUG [timeline]: impl.MetricsSinkAdapter (MetricsSinkAdapter.java:consume(181)) - Pushing record MetricsSystem,sub=Stats.metricssystem.MetricsSystem to timeline
DEBUG [timeline]: impl.MetricsSinkAdapter (MetricsSinkAdapter.java:consume(199)) - Done'

'Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.PacketTooBigException: Packet for query is too large (6518628 > 4194304). You can change this value on the server by setting the max_allowed_packet' variable.
at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.readPacket(MysqlIO.java:612) ~[mysql-connector-java.jar:?]'

The HMS starts with no error but it is not listening on port 9083 and HS2 and Interactive fails to start.

HDP -3.1.0

HIVE -3.0.0.3.1

MySql - 5.7

MySql connector - 5.1.25

5 REPLIES 5

Guru

Can you provide the output from MySQL

show variables like 'max_allowed_packet';

Please also increase the variable in MySQL: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/packet-too-large.html 

Contributor

'max_allowed_packet' = 4194304

This issue started occurring after I set this property in my.cnf max_allowed_packet= 10M and restarted MySql server. HMS was stuck in sinking metrics and was not connecting to MySql hence HS2 and Interactive failed to connect.

So I reverted the setting in my.cnf and HIVE started working for few hours but fails again.

Guru

COuld you adjust the value bit more than  6518628  and check?

Contributor

I've set the value to 32M, but still facing this connection issue between HMS and HS2 servers.

Guru

Please share the updated logs.I want to check the error