Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Data Visualization for HDP and HDF scenarios

Expert Contributor

Hello. I would like to validate alternatives for *open source* and preferrably free visualization and reporting tools. I am aware of commercial alternatives, but I would like to double check for the best alternatives in the open source universe, both for HDP and HDF. These are the broad scenarios I need to address:

1) Traditional reporting; some popular choices could be Pentaho or SpagoBI.

2) Multi dimensional analysis; in the RDBMS world this could be mapped to Mondrian (ROLAP), and different visualizaiton interfaces like jpivot.

3) Real time analytics. Our first choice was Banana Dashboard, but we needed to tweak it a lot in order to provide the expected results.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Fernando Lopez Bello

1. Traditional reporting tools you seem to have pretty well covered. The usual suspects: Pentaho, JasperReports, SpagoBI.
  2. For multi-dimensional analysis, you may want to look into Apache Druid. AirBNB Superset is a pretty popular data exploration platform for Druid available under the Apache License. Apache Kylin is also an option. Kylin provides direct support for standard tools such as Tableau and Microsoft Excel/PowerBI.
  3. In addition to Banana, Kibana from Elastic is a pretty popular dashboard for real-time analytics available under the Apache License. Impetus also offers a free version of its StreamAnalytix product, but not through an Apache License.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@Fernando Lopez Bello

1. Traditional reporting tools you seem to have pretty well covered. The usual suspects: Pentaho, JasperReports, SpagoBI.
  2. For multi-dimensional analysis, you may want to look into Apache Druid. AirBNB Superset is a pretty popular data exploration platform for Druid available under the Apache License. Apache Kylin is also an option. Kylin provides direct support for standard tools such as Tableau and Microsoft Excel/PowerBI.
  3. In addition to Banana, Kibana from Elastic is a pretty popular dashboard for real-time analytics available under the Apache License. Impetus also offers a free version of its StreamAnalytix product, but not through an Apache License.

Hope this helps!

@Fernando Lopez Bello Does this help? Is there more that I can help answer for you? If not, would you please accept my answer? Thanks. Tom

Expert Contributor

Thanks. How about Hue?

Super Guru

@Fernando Lopez Bello

If you are thinking Hue then I recommend to consider Ambari Views. Ambari Views are very powerful.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Views

Zeppelin is also an awesome visualization tool:

https://zeppelin.apache.org/

Thank you, Constantin!