Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Does phoenix update global index during bulk load?

Master Guru

Does phoenix update global index during bulk load? curious if this is supported and how it works.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

Yes, it updates indexes. If we are talking about MR job, than bulk load generates HFiles for user table and index tables at the same time and load it using HBase bulk load. In case of PSQL the data is loading using regular upserts and indexes are updated in regular way.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Yes, it does. If it didn't, your queries would return incorrect results.

The code suggests to me that the PhoenixRecordWriter handles the responsibility of updating both the data tables and index tables during the MR job output, but I'm not sure the link is to exactly the right class.

Super Collaborator

Yes, it updates indexes. If we are talking about MR job, than bulk load generates HFiles for user table and index tables at the same time and load it using HBase bulk load. In case of PSQL the data is loading using regular upserts and indexes are updated in regular way.

Master Guru

@Randy Gelhausen and @ssoldatov thank you for your responses.

New Contributor

Update the column and the column was on the index witn MR bulkload,It didn't update . And then I can get the old result if the condition on the index.https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-2521