Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Enable HBase metrics for JMX

Contributor

I am trying to enable HBase metrics out to the JMX following this: https://hbase.apache.org/metrics.html. At the stage "Enable HBase stats collection", I am to edit $HBASE_HOME/conf/hadoop-metrics.properties on just the master servers or all the region servers as well? same goes for the Setup JMX remote access. Am I to create them on just my masters or on all regions?

I appreciate any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Even I can't seem to reply now in that chain.

So, I think that you will need to modify the $HBASE_HOME/conf/hadoop-metrics2-hbase.properties file on all the Region servers and the HBase Masters. And restart each of those services. Also, for the remote access JMX files, again you would need to add that on all the hosts where you want to do the monitoring and add reference to the JMX files in $HBASE_HOME/conf/hbase-env.sh files.

This might be a tedious process doing it on all the hosts, so you might want to use the links in the previous answer for doing it via Ambari Or else give this is a try if the number of servers are few.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Contributor

(Sorry I can't seem to reply on a later message as I guess we are too far down the thread chain) So I would need to edit the conf/hadoop-metrics2-hbase.properties on each region server? And I dont need to on the hbase masters? Is this the same for adding the remote access files? Thanks for your help!

Even I can't seem to reply now in that chain.

So, I think that you will need to modify the $HBASE_HOME/conf/hadoop-metrics2-hbase.properties file on all the Region servers and the HBase Masters. And restart each of those services. Also, for the remote access JMX files, again you would need to add that on all the hosts where you want to do the monitoring and add reference to the JMX files in $HBASE_HOME/conf/hbase-env.sh files.

This might be a tedious process doing it on all the hosts, so you might want to use the links in the previous answer for doing it via Ambari Or else give this is a try if the number of servers are few.

Hope this helps.

Contributor

Thank you very much for your help on the matter! So I am not too worried about putting them on all of the servers as I can just do it with Ansible. But I guess I was confused by your links, they seem to be for another use case and enable much more metrics which all i wanted was another application (AppDynamics) to be able to access the JMX.