Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Error Configuring Hive LLAP

Master Guru
WARN conf.HiveConf: HiveConf of name hive.llap.daemon.allow.permanent.fns does not exist
WARN conf.HiveConf: HiveConf hive.llap.daemon.vcpus.per.instance expects INT type value
WARN cli.LlapServiceDriver: Ignoring unknown llap server parameter: [hive.aux.jars.path]
Failed: Working memory + cache (Xmx=4.00GB + cache=1.00GB) has to be smaller than the container sizing (5.00GB)
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Working memory + cache (Xmx=4.00GB + cache=1.00GB) has to be smaller than the container sizing (5.00GB) 

at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkArgument(Preconditions.java:92)

I am working from this: http://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/interactive-sql-hadoop-hive-llap/

I am trying to see which setting I set too high.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

@Timothy Spann

Adding to @gopal's answer, you can modify Xmx and cache from Ambari as follows: (this will get reflected on HSI smart configs page)

For Xmx:

Go to Hive -> Configs ->Advanced-hive-interactive-env

8322-screen-shot-2016-10-06-at-115814-am.png

For Cache:

8323-screen-shot-2016-10-06-at-121007-pm.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Expert Contributor

The cache, for sure (the math is the container * 0.8 == Xmx + Cache)

I would recommend scaling down both Xmx and Cache by 0.8x, equally and picking 1 executor thread for your LLAP to avoid thrashing such a small cache. LLAP really shines when you give it (~4Gb per core) + enough cache to hold all the data needed for all executors in motion (not the total data size, but if you have 10 threads ... need at least 10 ORC stripes worth of cache).

Expert Contributor

@Timothy Spann

Adding to @gopal's answer, you can modify Xmx and cache from Ambari as follows: (this will get reflected on HSI smart configs page)

For Xmx:

Go to Hive -> Configs ->Advanced-hive-interactive-env

8322-screen-shot-2016-10-06-at-115814-am.png

For Cache:

8323-screen-shot-2016-10-06-at-121007-pm.png

Master Guru

thanks, that worked