Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Error Hive in Hue - MetaException(message:Got exception: org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.api.MetaException Exception thrown when executing query)

New Contributor

Hi Gyus 

I have a problem with Hive when I execute a query for example:
select * from name_table... It's return the message error "MetaException(message:Got exception: org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.api.MetaException Exception thrown when executing query)" in the top left of the screen.
Could you help me about this?
Detail: Recentily I updated the my cloudera's virtual machine, I don't  know if this is a problem with some update.

1 REPLY 1

Master Mentor

@Strabelli 

As you see the message in the browser as following which is very generic error and does not tell the actual cause of the failure.

MetaException(message:Got exception: org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.api.MetaException Exception thrown when executing query)

- So did you check the Hue Log to see if it is showing a detailed StackTrace of the error?   Just tail the Hue logs and then try running the same query again to see if we get a detailed error message.

# ls -lart /var/log/hue/
# tail -f /var/log/hue/*

Also can you check the HIve Service / Metastore log of the same time stamp to verify if the Metastore is running fine without any error?