Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Error during Apache Metron deployment

Contributor

I am getting the following error when I perform the Apache Metron deployment process:

TASK [ambari_master : check if ambari-server is up on ec2-52-38-224-98.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:8080] *** fatal: [ec2-52-38-224-98.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "elapsed": 300, "failed": true, "msg": "Timeout when waiting for ec2-52-38-224-98.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:8080"}

Does this mean that one of my AWS EC2 users is not online or responsive or accessible? If so, how do I fix that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

I am little confused by the term "AWS EC2 users". Do you mean EC2 host? At this point we're just trying to establish that the host is up and accessible. No need to log in to the host (yet).

The first step is to verify that the host is actually up. You can find the host status by logging into the AWS console and navigating to the EC2 service. If it is in fact up, security rules may be the cause. Navigate to Network & Security > Security Groups, select the security group for that host and check out the Inbound rules.

Assuming you are using our scripts to deploy this (as explained in /incubator-metron/deployment/amazon-ec2/README.md)? May be easier to just start fresh. AWS can be unpredictable sometimes.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Contributor

Can you verify that you can access Ambari at ec2-52-38-224-98.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:8080? That part of the deployment process is polling that address for a response so the first step is to make sure it's actually available.

Contributor

Thanks for your reply. How do I check to make sure the user is actually available? I've looked on the IAM site and checked the user. It appears active. And the last used date is today.

Contributor

Thanks for your reply. How do I check to make sure the user is actually available? I've looked on the IAM site and checked the user. It appears to be active (Status=Active). And the last used date is today

Contributor

I found the EC2 Dashboard and looked at the Status check for ec2-52-38-224-98.us-west. Both the System Status Checks and the Instance Status Checks passed. So, I think I should be able to access that address. Any suggestions on how I should proceed? Thanks!

Expert Contributor

The fact that you can see the host in your EC2 Dashboard tells me that your AWS/IAM setup is probably not a problem.

The status checks provided by AWS are extremely high-level though. We need to look more closely at Ambari. Login to the box and see if Ambari is even running.

ssh centos@ec2-52-38-224-98.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com
service ambari-server status 

Super Collaborator
@rmckissick

Please send the full ansible.log file located in incubator-metron-Metron_0.1BETA_rc7/deployment/amazon-ec2. When you send the ansible.log please sanitize any ec2 instance names, you don't want to publish out those to the entire community.

Contributor

I am little confused by the term "AWS EC2 users". Do you mean EC2 host? At this point we're just trying to establish that the host is up and accessible. No need to log in to the host (yet).

The first step is to verify that the host is actually up. You can find the host status by logging into the AWS console and navigating to the EC2 service. If it is in fact up, security rules may be the cause. Navigate to Network & Security > Security Groups, select the security group for that host and check out the Inbound rules.

Assuming you are using our scripts to deploy this (as explained in /incubator-metron/deployment/amazon-ec2/README.md)? May be easier to just start fresh. AWS can be unpredictable sometimes.

Contributor

@nallen Thanks for your help. I ran the command you provided and received the following information:

/etc/init.d/ambari-server: line 53: /var/lib/ambari-server/ambari-env.sh: Permission denied Using python /usr/bin/python2.6 Ambari-server status Ambari Server not running. Stale PID File at: /var/run/ambari-server/ambari-server.pid

Is the issue the "Permission denied" or the "Ambari Server not running"? Can you tell me how to fix this? Thanks for your help.

Expert Contributor

Looks like Ambari died. It would be useful to extract /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.log from that host and share that with us.

The simplest option is to terminate your hosts in EC2 and start the deployment again as @rmerriman suggested. If you run into the same issue, please share the deployment/amazon-ec2/ansible.log file that is created.