Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Error sending message to Solr : o collection param specified on request and no default collection has been set.

Rising Star

I built Hadoop cluster with HDP 2.3.0. This cluster is kerberized.

I'm trying Apache Ranger 0.5.0.2.3 for managing the access control and running into the following error.

2015-12-08 12:49:10,427 ERROR [hiveServer2.async.summary.multi_dest.batch_destWriter]: provider.BaseAuditHandler (BaseAuditHandler.java:logError(318)) - Error sending message to Solr
org.apache.solr.client.solrj.SolrServerException: No collection param specified on request and no default collection has been set.
        at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.CloudSolrClient.directUpdate(CloudSolrClient.java:519)
        at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.CloudSolrClient.sendRequest(CloudSolrClient.java:918)
        at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.CloudSolrClient.requestWithRetryOnStaleState(CloudSolrClient.java:809)
        at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.CloudSolrClient.request(CloudSolrClient.java:752)
        at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.SolrRequest.process(SolrRequest.java:131)
        at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.SolrClient.add(SolrClient.java:76)
        at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.SolrClient.add(SolrClient.java:62)
        at org.apache.ranger.audit.destination.SolrAuditDestination.log(SolrAuditDestination.java:132)
        at org.apache.ranger.audit.provider.BaseAuditHandler.logJSON(BaseAuditHandler.java:161)
        at org.apache.ranger.audit.queue.AuditFileSpool.sendEvent(AuditFileSpool.java:882)
        at org.apache.ranger.audit.queue.AuditFileSpool.runDoAs(AuditFileSpool.java:830)
        at org.apache.ranger.audit.queue.AuditFileSpool$2.run(AuditFileSpool.java:759)
        at org.apache.ranger.audit.queue.AuditFileSpool$2.run(AuditFileSpool.java:757)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:360)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1637)
        at org.apache.ranger.audit.queue.AuditFileSpool.run(AuditFileSpool.java:765)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
2015-12-08 12:49:10,427 ERROR [hiveServer2.async.summary.multi_dest.batch_destWriter]: queue.AuditFileSpool (AuditFileSpool.java:logError(710)) - Error sending logs to consumer. provider=hiveServer2.async.summary.multi_dest.batch, consumer=hiveServer2.async.summary.multi_dest.batch.solr

I find this error in the hiveserver log file, /var/log/hive/hiveserver2.log, and audit logs for hive access don't appear on Audit tab page in Ranger UI.

I'm trying to solve the error, but I can't solve yet.

Please let me know what I should check.

Version

HDP 2.3.0.0

Ranger 0.5.0.2.3

Hive 1.2.1.2.3

Solr 5.2.1

I have bad English, so I apologize if I say something strange.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for you question 🙂

I am seeing the same error message with HDFS SolrCloud Audit. Basically the Audit client is not picking up the collection name from the configuration and setting "ranger.audit.solr.collection.name" to "ranger_audits" has no effect. I will follow up on this issue and see what I can find out.

Just to make sure, did you follow this guide (http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.3.2/bk_Ranger_Install_Guide/content/ch_install_s...) to setup your SolrCloud for Ranger Audits?

Does your Audit configuration for Hive look something like this:

xasecure.audit.destination.solr.zookeepersmaster01.example.com:2181/solrxasecure.audit.destination.solr.urls{{ranger_audit_solr_urls}}Audit to SOLRtrue

You can work around this issue by setting the following configuration:

HDFS (ranger-hdfs-audit): xasecure.audit.destination.solr.zookeepers=NONE

Ranger (ranger-admin-site): ranger.audit.solr.urls=http://solrNode01.example.com:8983/solr/ranger_audits

This way you're working around Zookeeper and write your audit log directly to one of the Solr nodes.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Thanks for you question 🙂

I am seeing the same error message with HDFS SolrCloud Audit. Basically the Audit client is not picking up the collection name from the configuration and setting "ranger.audit.solr.collection.name" to "ranger_audits" has no effect. I will follow up on this issue and see what I can find out.

Just to make sure, did you follow this guide (http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.3.2/bk_Ranger_Install_Guide/content/ch_install_s...) to setup your SolrCloud for Ranger Audits?

Does your Audit configuration for Hive look something like this:

xasecure.audit.destination.solr.zookeepersmaster01.example.com:2181/solrxasecure.audit.destination.solr.urls{{ranger_audit_solr_urls}}Audit to SOLRtrue

You can work around this issue by setting the following configuration:

HDFS (ranger-hdfs-audit): xasecure.audit.destination.solr.zookeepers=NONE

Ranger (ranger-admin-site): ranger.audit.solr.urls=http://solrNode01.example.com:8983/solr/ranger_audits

This way you're working around Zookeeper and write your audit log directly to one of the Solr nodes.

Rising Star

Thank you for your prompt reply!!

I had installed in according to the guide you told me.

However, some settings were wrong.

xasecure.audit.destination.solr.zookeepers for HDFS(ranger-hdfs-audit) was not "none"

xasecure.audit.destination.solr.zookeepers for Hive(ranger-hive-audit) was "master:2181/ranger_audits"

After fixing these settings, that problem disappeared and I can look audit logs for hive.

Thank you so much, Jonas.

Awesome, I am glad you were able to fix it 🙂

I guess you are not using a separate znode for Solr in your Zookeeper environment, right? So basically all you solr content is placed in the root directory of Zookeeper.

Rising Star

You are right. My Zookeeper environment is not using a separate znode.

I learned much from you. Thank you.

Thanks for confirming! The Znode makes a huge difference 🙂

Rising Star

The upcoming patch for Ranger should support giving Zookeeper quorum used by Ranger as the property.

Rising Star

Thank you for telling me that.

I'm looking forward to it.