Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Error when query hive/hbase from %sql

Rising Star

Hi,

I setup Zeppelin, %spark and %hive is workign perfectly but I have somethin special with %sql

For the context, I have hbase table and hive is able to query the hbase table.

When I'm doing

%sql

show tables

I can see all the table name but when I doing hte following query:

%sql

Select * from table1

Then I got the following error:

MetaException(message:java.lang.ClassNotFoundException Class org.apache.hadoop.hive.hbase.HBaseSerDe not found) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.getDeserializer(MetaStoreUtils.java:346)

at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Table.getDeserializerFromMetaStore(Table.java:288)

at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Table.getDeserializer(Table.java:281) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Table.getCols(Table.java:631) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Table.checkValidity(Table.java:189) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.getTable(Hive.java:1017) at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.client.ClientWrapper$$anonfun$getTableOption$1.apply(ClientWrapper.scala:202)

at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.client.ClientWrapper$$anonfun$getTableOption$1.apply(ClientWrapper.scala:198)

at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.client.ClientWrapper.withHiveState(ClientWrapper.scala:156)

at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.client.ClientWrapper.getTableOption(ClientWrapper.scala:198)

at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.client.ClientInterface$class.getTable(ClientInterface.scala:112)

at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.client.ClientWrapper.getTable(ClientWrapper.scala:61)

at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.HiveMetastoreCatalog.lookupRelation(HiveMetastoreCatalog.scala:227)

at ....................

Any idea?

Thanks in advance,

Michel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
@Michel Sumbul

Conclusion: You are using %sql to read hbase table. Correct?

You can use %phoenix to do so. You can see %phoenix demo in this or this

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Master Mentor
@Michel Sumbul

Conclusion: You are using %sql to read hbase table. Correct?

You can use %phoenix to do so. You can see %phoenix demo in this or this

Master Mentor
"MetaException(message:java.lang.ClassNotFoundException Class org.apache.hadoop.hive.hbase.HBaseSerDe not found) at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.getDeserializer(MetaStoreUtils.java:346)"

Rising Star

Okok.

Stupid question: How to show the list of the table in phoenix from zeppelin.

I try: show table, show tables, list table, !table

Noone is working, is it normal?

Thanks 🙂

Master Mentor

@Michel Sumbul

That's in the demo too 😉

Select from system.catalog

Check the demo

Expert Contributor

Hey Michel. In phoneix the order is !tables I am unsure if it translates into phoenix but that's how I would do it in phoenix's CLI tool.

Master Mentor

@Chris Gambino

! Does not work in Zeppelin