Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Getting error "User session not found 403" when using zeppelin with livy

Rising Star

So we have a kerberized cluster and have integrated ldaps with zeppelin. But when i try to use livy i get the following error

ERROR [2016-12-01 10:00:02,442] ({pool-2-thread-4} LivyHelper.java[createSession]:128) - Error getting session for user java.lang.Exception: Cannot start spark. at org.apache.zeppelin.livy.LivyHelper.createSession(LivyHelper.java:117) at org.apache.zeppelin.livy.LivySparkSQLInterpreter.interpret(LivySparkSQLInterpreter.java:62) at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.LazyOpenInterpreter.interpret(LazyOpenInterpreter.java:94) at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.remote.RemoteInterpreterServer$InterpretJob.jobRun(RemoteInterpreterServer.java:341) at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.Job.run(Job.java:176) at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.FIFOScheduler$1.run(FIFOScheduler.java:139) at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) ERROR [2016-12-01 10:00:02,442] ({pool-2-thread-4} LivySparkSQLInterpreter.java[interpret]:70) - Exception in LivySparkSQLInterpreter while interpret java.lang.Exception: Cannot start spark.

in zeppelin interpreter logs.

Also when i dont enable ldap for zeppelin (that is i log in as anonymous), I can see that job is been submitted to yarn but it fails as user is `zeppelin-clusterName`. But when i use ldap with zeppelin it is not even getting submit to yarn.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

So guys @kbadani and @jzhang the issue finally got solved and thank you for your support. It was very trivial but very important property, livy.superuser was set to `zeppelin-<cluster name in uppercase>` but the principal was in lower case 😛 . And changing that solved the issue, @kbadani You pointed out that property but I didnt know that it is case sensitive.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Super Collaborator

Do you kerberos your cluster using ambari ? There're serveral configuration you need to make it work.

Rising Star

Hey @jzhang, thanks for the interest. Yes, i have used ambari for kerberization and also i have set proxy users property for livy in hdfs

Super Collaborator

The session might be expired, Can you restart livy interpreter ? And if you still get the error, check the RM UI to find the yarn app log.

Rising Star

@jzhang, So i did restart the server and checked yarn logs but the job is not getting submitted, I cannot see any submitted or failed jobs.

Super Collaborator

Do you run it in yarn-cluster mode ? Set livy.spark.master as yarn-cluster in interpreter setting page

Rising Star

yes i have already set that to yarn-cluster mode

@Bhavin Tandel Have you setup livy.superusers property to your zeppelin principal in livy.conf?

Rising Star

yes, i have set it to zeppelin principal. But just for heads up i have not configured ldap for MIT Kerberos but i am using ldap with zeppelin.

@Bhavin Tandel please ensure you have all of the following setup

1) when you try to login using ldap - the user you are getting logged in has corresponding data directory on HDFS (/user/xyz) ? Also, the unix user should be present on the cluster

2) livy.superusers = zeppelin-clustername in livy.conf (which you already have done)

3) Along with for 'livy' user, also please setup proxy permissions for both 'zeppelin' and 'zeppelin-clustername' in HDFS core-site.xml

hadoop.proxyuser.zeppelin.hosts = *
hadoop.proxyuser.zeppelin.hosts = *
hadoop.proxyuser.zeppelin-clustername.hosts = *
hadoop.proxyuser.zeppelin-clustername.hosts = *