Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HBase Shell giving error

Contributor

NoMethodError: undefined method `getTerminal' for Java::Jline::Terminal:Module

refresh_width at /usr/hdp/2.5.0.0-1245/hbase/lib/ruby/shell/formatter.rb:33

initialize at /usr/hdp/2.5.0.0-1245/hbase/lib/ruby/shell/formatter.rb:46

(root) at /usr/hdp/2.5.0.0-1245/hbase/bin/hirb.rb:128

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found it required higher version of protobuf jar so I updated HBase lib by replacing to protobuf-java-3.1.0.jar from protobuf-java-2.5.0.jar, still facing same error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator
hide-solution

This problem has been solved!

Want to get a detailed solution you have to login/registered on the community

Register/Login
15 REPLIES 15

Super Collaborator
hide-solution

This problem has been solved!

Want to get a detailed solution you have to login/registered on the community

Register/Login

Contributor

@ssoldatov

I did not changed hbase classpath, I just replace protobuf jar that I mentioned above

Super Collaborator

I would suggest to return back the original protobuf (there was a thread about a similar issue somewhere on the internet, but this issue is not relevant to the protobuf). And check that no new jars were added to the HBase lib directory (like phoenix-client for example).

Contributor

As suggested I return back the original protobuf, but still facing same error. There is no new jar is added in /hbase/lib but we have phoenix, ranger etc jar as I installed all this by Ambari.

Super Collaborator

Can you run ls -la /usr/hdp/2.5.0.0-1245/hbase/lib/*.jar and attach output here?

Contributor

@ssoldatov

Thanks...!

In /usr/hdp/current/hbase-master/lib

1. protobuf-java-3.1.0.jar -> /usr/ibmpacks/current/bigmatch/hbase/lib/protobuf-java-3.1.0.jar
  2. spark-assembly-1.6.2.2.5.0.0-1245-hadoop2.7.3.2.5.0.0-1245.jar -> /usr/ibmpacks/current/bigmatch/hbase/lib/sparkassembly-1.6.2.2.5.0.0-1245-hadoop2.7.3.2.5.0.0-1245.jar

I unlink above two and changed protobuf-java-3.1.0.jar from protobuf-java-2.5.0.jar in /hbase/lib and follow below link.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28563167/hbase-master-not-starting-correctly

It worked for me.

@HARISH BAJPAI

NoMethodError indicates that you are not using the correct version of jar in the classpath.

This is because the "protobuf-java-2.5.0.jar" might be having some classes with different method signature and the newer jar might have different syntax of those methods so you will get errors like you are getting. [NoMethodError: undefined method `getTerminal']

Which means in the newer version of the jar "getTerminal" method seems to be removed.

Contributor

@jss

In this case what should me next course of action?

@HARISH BAJPAI

Please do not try to upgrade individual JARs Major Version. Because with every major version change many APIs are changed completely, Like some methods are added new/ some methods are removed and some methods signature is changed. So i will suggest you to not to upgrade the Major version (from 2.5.0 to 3.1.0 ). Please revert back to your old jar "protobuf-java-2.5.0.jar"