Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP Sandbox 2.6.5 ssh connectionHost key verification failed

Expert Contributor

I have newly imported HDP 2.6.5 Sandbox after removing the 2.6.4,  and tried to connect via ssh. My host machine Windows 10. My command:

ssh root@sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com -p 2222

The error output:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
SHA256:8F0VOvcJIA2FD3Ld90kv5FiD3270onl/+uDeDBNffQ0.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /c/Users/user/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending RSA key in /c/Users/user/.ssh/known_hosts:3
RSA host key for [sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com]:2222 has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@erkansirin78 

It seems you have an issue with your known_hosts file, you need to remove the third(3) line in known_hosts file /c/Users/user/.ssh/known_hosts:3  Most likely an SSH altered the encryption keys due to a possible security hole. You can then purge that specific line from your known_hosts file:

# sed -i 377d ~/.ssh/known_hosts

but it seems your known_hosts file is mounted on the C drive on /c/Users/user/ windows 10!!

You can also remove StrictHostKey checking in your ssh configuration file, typically stored at ~/.ssh/config.

An example Host block is provided below:

Host 101
    HostName yourip|hostname
    User your_Userid
    IdentityFile /path/to/keyfile
    Port 22
     StrictHostKeyChecking no

The specifically added line is the last one StrictHostKeyChecking no which does just that. Please do that and revert

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Master Mentor

@erkansirin78 

It seems you have an issue with your known_hosts file, you need to remove the third(3) line in known_hosts file /c/Users/user/.ssh/known_hosts:3  Most likely an SSH altered the encryption keys due to a possible security hole. You can then purge that specific line from your known_hosts file:

# sed -i 377d ~/.ssh/known_hosts

but it seems your known_hosts file is mounted on the C drive on /c/Users/user/ windows 10!!

You can also remove StrictHostKey checking in your ssh configuration file, typically stored at ~/.ssh/config.

An example Host block is provided below:

Host 101
    HostName yourip|hostname
    User your_Userid
    IdentityFile /path/to/keyfile
    Port 22
     StrictHostKeyChecking no

The specifically added line is the last one StrictHostKeyChecking no which does just that. Please do that and revert

Expert Contributor

Thank you @Shelton . I have just deleted the line specified in error message in 

/c/Users/user/.ssh/known_hosts

It worked. I had used HDP 2.6.4 before this one. I think there was already a key for the same hostname, once delete it i was able to connect via ssh. This time added new key that belongs to HDP 2.6.5 Sandbox.  In this case, Should I accept your solution? Because you offer additional solutions that I have not verified.

Master Mentor

Master Mentor

@erkansirin78 

Great !! it worked out for you, If you found this answer addressed your question, please take a moment to log in and click the thumbs up button.

That would be a great help to Cloudera Community to find the solution quickly for these kinds of errors and mark it as a solution