Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP on Windows, non-Server versions?

Explorer

Is there a technical reason why HDP is not supported for Windows versions other than Windows Server?

I installed HDP on two Server 2012 machines, but the install failed when I tried it on Windows 8.1. I manually configured it for my Windows 8.1 box and the cluster seems to work fine. I'm concerned there is a technical roadblock in my future that I just haven't hit yet. Will that be the case?

Ultimately, I may have evening access to about 100 PCs, but they are running Windows 7. I'd like to install HDP on them, but of course want to save myself a lot of headaches if there is a reason it won't work.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

To summarize, I have found no technical reason why other versions of Windows is not supported. I believe it is more of a strategic decision.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Master Mentor

Explorer

Yes, thank you, but I was able to get it working on Windows 8.1 by manually installing it. I'm curious as to why only Server versions. Is it a technical reason? And if so, what? Best regards.

Master Mentor

Master Mentor

@Cary Walker Server provides more features than non-server ...features related to DNS setup, networking and security

good explanation http://superuser.com/questions/656526/any-advantage-of-using-windows-server-2012-r2-instead-of-windo...

Master Mentor

@Cary Walker Was this helpful? If yes then please accept the answer to close the thread

Explorer

To summarize, I have found no technical reason why other versions of Windows is not supported. I believe it is more of a strategic decision.

Master Mentor

@Cary Walker has this been resolved? Can you accept best answer or provide your own solution?