Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HORTONWORKS ODBC driver not working

Super Collaborator

i dont have SASL enabled so i am using http to connect , can you please take a look at the screenshots and see what i am doing wrong ?

1- in the port what should i use? 10000 , 10001 or 9083 ?

2- the username and password is the ambari login username/password or an hive username?

also which of the ports should be open between client and hive server ?

92519-capture3.jpg

92518-capture2.jpg

92517-capture1.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

@Sami Ahmad Below steps will help you in setting up ODBC..

1. Check on what Mode my Hiveserver2 is running, From Ambari -> Hive -> Conf check property value

hive.server2.transport.mode

If the above is set to binary, in that case, your Hiveserver2 is running on Binary Mode i.e based on above configs it should be port 10000, otherwise, if it is HTTP then your HS2 is running on PORT 10001

for HTTP Transport mode, set transport mode as HTTP and HTTP Path as cliservice

If it is binary then set Thrift Transport mode to default SASL.

2. Test the connectivity between end Client and Hiveserver2 host by using ping or telnet on the port we got from above point. I would check FQDN of HS2 host from end client and set the same in Host for ODBC.

3. Check property hive.server2.authentication value, if it is None, you can set Authentication Mechanism in ODBC config as just Username and pass the end user otherwise if it is Kerberos, you can set Kerberos for it. In case of LDAP pass username/password with auth as username and password.

4. Test Connection to HS2.

Let me know if it helps?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Super Collaborator

@Sami Ahmad Below steps will help you in setting up ODBC..

1. Check on what Mode my Hiveserver2 is running, From Ambari -> Hive -> Conf check property value

hive.server2.transport.mode

If the above is set to binary, in that case, your Hiveserver2 is running on Binary Mode i.e based on above configs it should be port 10000, otherwise, if it is HTTP then your HS2 is running on PORT 10001

for HTTP Transport mode, set transport mode as HTTP and HTTP Path as cliservice

If it is binary then set Thrift Transport mode to default SASL.

2. Test the connectivity between end Client and Hiveserver2 host by using ping or telnet on the port we got from above point. I would check FQDN of HS2 host from end client and set the same in Host for ODBC.

3. Check property hive.server2.authentication value, if it is None, you can set Authentication Mechanism in ODBC config as just Username and pass the end user otherwise if it is Kerberos, you can set Kerberos for it. In case of LDAP pass username/password with auth as username and password.

4. Test Connection to HS2.

Let me know if it helps?

Super Collaborator

ok I am using binary mode so I will use port 10000. its currently blocked so have to ask security guys to open it.

the hive.server2.authentication is not set but I see the two other similar variables . so for authentication method I would just choose "username" and not "username/password" ? where would I create this user?

we are not using Kerberos.

91529-capture.jpg

Super Collaborator

awesome it worked . you explained it well . thanks

Super Collaborator

@Sami Ahmad Good to hear that it worked!

@Chiran Ravani, @Jay Kumar SenSharma , @Geoffrey Shelton Okot , @Vipin Rathor @Neeraj Sabharwal i am also facing the issue while setting up the Hive ODBC DSN connection.

Error:-

Logs attached logs.txt

[Hortonworks][DriverSupport] (1170) Unexpected response received from server.

Please ensure the server host and port specified for the connection are correct.

Ambari host is SSL enable.

And using MIT kerberos.

HDP 2.6.5

Hive ODBC DSN 64 bit

Please help.

108692-odbc-dsn.png

Expert Contributor

I ran into the same issue and below is the failure message.

FAILED!

[Hortonworks][DriverSupport] (1110) Unexpected response received from server. Please ensure the server host and port specified for the connection are correct and confirm if SSL should be enabled for the connection.

@Chiran Ravani My HDP box does not require SSL. I understand and followed step 1 and step 3 but does not know how to do with step 2. Could you provide more specs on Step 2?

By the way, I checked all listening ports on my box and did not see port 100000. The firewall on my box has been disabled. I am not sure whether this matters. Here is my command to check listening ports.

sudo nmap -sTU -O localhost

Thanks.

Expert Contributor

My issue is actually caused by the fact that Port 10000 is not working. After installing the Hive client no another data node, where port 10000 is working, I am able to follow the steps above and create the DSN successfully.