Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive Metastore can not start on Ambari 2.4 and HDP 2.4

Contributor

Before I have used Cloudera Manager to managed my Hadoop cluster, But It have license too expense, I decided moving to Ambari, and I am feel it's good tool. I have used Ambari 2.4 and HDP 2.4 for my Hadoop Cluster. Every services on my cluster is working well, exception Hive Metastore, I try to start Hive Metastore from Ambari UI but I got the error like this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/package/scripts/hive_metastore.py", line 259, in <module>
    HiveMetastore().execute()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 280, in execute
    method(env)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/package/scripts/hive_metastore.py", line 59, in start
    self.configure(env)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/package/scripts/hive_metastore.py", line 73, in configure
    hive(name = 'metastore')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_commons/os_family_impl.py", line 89, in thunk
    return fn(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/package/scripts/hive.py", line 252, in hive
    mode=0644)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/base.py", line 155, in __init__
    self.env.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 160, in run
    self.run_action(resource, action)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 124, in run_action
    provider_action()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/providers/xml_config.py", line 66, in action_create
    encoding = self.resource.encoding
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/base.py", line 155, in __init__
    self.env.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 160, in run
    self.run_action(resource, action)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 124, in run_action
    provider_action()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/system.py", line 123, in action_create
    content = self._get_content()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/system.py", line 160, in _get_content
    return content()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/source.py", line 51, in __call__
    return self.get_content()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/source.py", line 142, in get_content
    rendered = self.template.render(self.context)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_jinja2/environment.py", line 891, in render
    return self.environment.handle_exception(exc_info, True)
  File "<template>", line 2, in top-level template code
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_jinja2/filters.py", line 176, in do_dictsort
    return sorted(value.items(), key=sort_func)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/config_dictionary.py", line 73, in __getattr__
    raise Fail("Configuration parameter '" + self.name + "' was not found in configurations dictionary!")
resource_management.core.exceptions.Fail: Configuration parameter 'hivemetastore-site' was not found in configurations dictionary!

Hive Metastore can not start so It make my HiveServer2 down after Up 5 minutes.

So could you please help me resolve this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

You have maybe uncovered a bug in Ambari-2.4.2. There is a file hivemetastore-site.xml in HDP-2.5.x but not in HDP-2.4.x which you are using. I'm enclosing my hivemetastore-site.xml, put it in your /etc/hive/conf/conf.server directory on the node where HS2 and Hive-metastore are running, and then try to restart Hive metastore and HS2. If all this doesn't work you may consider to remove all HDP binaries and install HDP-2.5.3 with your Ambari-2.4.2hivemetastore-site.xml

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Master Mentor

@Tin Huynh

Can you please try the following, Login to Ambari UI then navigate to: Hive --> Configs --> Advanced -- "Custom hivemetastore-site". Then click on "Add Property.." link and add some dummy property like

A = B

Now save the configuration and then try restarting the service.

Contributor

thanks for your help @Jay SenSharma but It's still failed when i try to restart, please see image bellow that have added your guide line. I didn't see hivemetastore-site .

13243-screenshot-from-2017-03-05-11-18-48.png

Master Mentor

@Tin Huynh

You added it in a wrong place, Please remove it and do it in Hive --> Configs --> Advanced -- "Custom hivemetastore-site". Then click on "Add Property.." link and add some dummy property like

13252-a-b.png

Contributor

hi @Jay SenSharma I know that, but I don't see row 'Custom hivemetastore-site' in Hive configs on my Ambari.

Contributor

and also i was found some article that have hivemetastore-site.xml and I have push that file into /etc/hive/conf and try restart hive metastore from Ambari UI but It's still failed.

Here is hivemestore-site.xml https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/master/data/conf/hivemetastore-site.xml

Master Guru

You have maybe uncovered a bug in Ambari-2.4.2. There is a file hivemetastore-site.xml in HDP-2.5.x but not in HDP-2.4.x which you are using. I'm enclosing my hivemetastore-site.xml, put it in your /etc/hive/conf/conf.server directory on the node where HS2 and Hive-metastore are running, and then try to restart Hive metastore and HS2. If all this doesn't work you may consider to remove all HDP binaries and install HDP-2.5.3 with your Ambari-2.4.2hivemetastore-site.xml

Contributor

thanks @Predrag Minovic I remove HDP 2.4 and install HDP 2.5 and it's work well

Master Guru

Great! Please up-vote and/or accept the answer which helped you. Tnx!

Explorer

Hi All, did you find the fix?

Thank you