Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Hive - TBLPROPERTIES

Hello, DW guy learning hadoop.

I wanted to understand what are the full list of TBLPROPERTIES that are predefined in Hive and available for use? Couldnt find it in the Hive Manual. Thanks for the help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
@KARTHIK THYAGARAJAN

See this https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+DDL

The TBLPROPERTIES clause allows you to tag the table definition with your own metadata key/value pairs. Some predefined table properties also exist, such as last_modified_user and last_modified_time which are automatically added and managed by Hive. Other predefined table properties include:

• TBLPROPERTIES ("comment"="table_comment")
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("hbase.table.name"="table_name") – see HBase Integration.
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("immutable"="true") or ("immutable"="false") in release 0.13.0+ (HIVE-6406) – see Inserting Data into Hive Tables from Queries.
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("orc.compress"="ZLIB") or ("orc.compress"="SNAPPY") or ("orc.compress"="NONE") and other ORC properties – see ORC Files.
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("transactional"="true") or ("transactional"="false") in release 0.14.0+, the default is "false" – see Hive Transactions.
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("NO_AUTO_COMPACTION"="true") or ("NO_AUTO_COMPACTION"="false"), the default is "false" – see Hive Transactions.
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("auto.purge"="true") or ("auto.purge"="false") in release 1.2.0+ (HIVE-9118) – see Drop Table and Drop Partitions.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Master Mentor
@KARTHIK THYAGARAJAN

See this https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+DDL

The TBLPROPERTIES clause allows you to tag the table definition with your own metadata key/value pairs. Some predefined table properties also exist, such as last_modified_user and last_modified_time which are automatically added and managed by Hive. Other predefined table properties include:

• TBLPROPERTIES ("comment"="table_comment")
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("hbase.table.name"="table_name") – see HBase Integration.
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("immutable"="true") or ("immutable"="false") in release 0.13.0+ (HIVE-6406) – see Inserting Data into Hive Tables from Queries.
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("orc.compress"="ZLIB") or ("orc.compress"="SNAPPY") or ("orc.compress"="NONE") and other ORC properties – see ORC Files.
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("transactional"="true") or ("transactional"="false") in release 0.14.0+, the default is "false" – see Hive Transactions.
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("NO_AUTO_COMPACTION"="true") or ("NO_AUTO_COMPACTION"="false"), the default is "false" – see Hive Transactions.
  • TBLPROPERTIES ("auto.purge"="true") or ("auto.purge"="false") in release 1.2.0+ (HIVE-9118) – see Drop Table and Drop Partitions.

Thanks @Neeraj Sabharwal

But yes, i did see this already.

I am looking for a place where i can find the full list.

For example I learnt from a tutorial that tblproperties ("skip.header.line.count"="1") is available from 0.13 onwards

Master Mentor

@KARTHIK THYAGARAJAN Hmm 🙂 Need to find a git to see if someone has shared it

hive.file.max.footer 
 Default Value: 100 
 Max number of lines of footer user can set for a table file. 
skip.header.line.count 
 Default Value: 0 
 Number of header lines for the table file. 
skip.footer.line.count 
 Default Value: 0 
 Number of footer lines for the table file. 

Master Mentor

@KARTHIK THYAGARAJAN Here you

https://github.com/apache/hive/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=TBLPROPERTIES

Now, you can be creative and keep running your own search 😉

@Neeraj Sabharwal - thank you! did you try to share a link? in 'go' - it doesnt work

Master Mentor

Master Mentor

@KARTHIK THYAGARAJAN I do believe that you can consolidate or run more searches.

FYI: You can do the same in future for any of the components

this option surely helps! Thanks a lot @Neeraj Sabharwal

Master Mentor

Please accept the best answer to close the loop @KARTHIK THYAGARAJAN