Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive View Not Populating Database Explorer

Expert Contributor

252-2015-10-16-09-29-17.png

I've downloaded the latest sandbox and I'm running through a tutorial. It seems that the Hive view in Ambari can execute commands, but the Database Explorer will not show any of the tables that are present.

However I can still execute statements and receive the results. I just can't see the list of tables. It's not throwing any errors up on the screen so I'm not sure what's wrong.

Is there any way to fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

It showed all of the databases when I ran the mysql command

It could possibly be an issue with user permissions - and the 'admin' user that the view is using does not have access to the hive databases or tables.

I found this out by ssh'ing into the sandbox and I tried immediately running hive

[root@sandbox ~]# hive 

gave me the error

org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=root, access=WRITE, inode="/user/root":hdfs:hdfs:drwxr-xr-x

However if I did a "su hdfs" or "su hive", it would allow me to run hive and see the tables.

Where I'm stumped is why I could run

select * from table_name;

and still have all the results returned.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Master Mentor

@zblanco are you still having issues with this? Can you accept best answer or provide your own solution?

Expert Contributor

Anyone has idea of this issue. Having the same issue. Below is what i have tried so far:

a.) Rebooted the machine

b.) I can see all the databases HDFS fole browser /apps/hive/warehouse

c.) Can list all databases using HIVE console

d.) Can also list tables using Hive console

e.) The only weird thing I notices is that it takes a very long time to get to hive prompt..

[hdfs@hdp-m ~]$ hive
WARNING: Use "yarn jar" to launch YARN applications.

Logging initialized using configuration in file:/etc/hive/2.3.4.0-3485/0/hive-log4j.properties
hive> show databases;
OK
arvindtest
dbforall
guestdatabase
kemr_fst
kemrfst
punj
punjtest
Time taken: 1.923 seconds, Fetched: 8 row(s)
hive>