Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Hive's taking to much time. It is normal?

Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to do a select count(*) from tweets; using Hive CLI. But as you can see, it is taking to much time (i guess)

It is normal?

Any tip?

10007-hive-sql.png

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

The Tez job has not started: both the mapper and the reducer are in "pending" state and haven't yet been launched. Once launched they would enter "running" state.

Check yarn to ensure there is enough room in your queue to fit the containers (http://sandbox:8088). There isn't much ram in a sandbox, and it could all be taken up by a Spark instance or by the Tez instances of hiveserver2.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Contributor

Never mind about cluster size. I saw you are using sandbox. Probably job cannot be started because there is not enough resource. You can try allocate more memory for VM or decrease tez container size.

Contributor

Zyang, what is the purpose about decreasing Tez Container Size?

Contributor

Your resource is limited. To solve the problem, either you allocate more resource or just request ask fro resource.

Contributor

Well Zyang, as you suggested i tried decreasing tez container size.

Now i got the following error

Vertex did not succeed due to OWN_TASK_FAILURE, failedTasks:1 killedTasks:0, Vertex vertex_1480577643003_0005_1_00 [Map 1] killed/failed due to:OWN_TASK_FAILURE]Vertex killed, vertexName=Reducer 2, vertexId=vertex_1480577643003_0005_1_01, diagnostics=[Vertex received Kill while in RUNNING state., Vertex did not succeed due to OTHER_VERTEX_FAILURE, failedTasks:0 killedTasks:1, Vertex vertex_1480577643003_0005_1_01 [Reducer 2] killed/failed due to:OTHER_VERTEX_FAILURE]DAG did not succeed due to VERTEX_FAILURE. failedVertices:1 killedVertices:1

Any suggestion?

regards

Contributor

Map vertex get killed because Reduce vertex failed. Any log for reduce vertex?