Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HiveServer2 won't start after changing Ranger's admin password

Super Collaborator

Hello

HDP 2.3.2

Ambari 2.1.2.1

After changing the admin password of Ranger - both in the ranger UI and in the ambari under Advanced ranger-env the HiveServer2 fails to start. Ranger starts flawlessly - but HiveServer2 (which has Ranger authorization enabled) doesn't. If i disable the Ranger authorization from Hive (switching to none) HiveServer2 will start.

The error in the ambari is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/package/scripts/hive_server.py", line 193, in <module>
    HiveServer().execute()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 216, in execute
    method(env)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/package/scripts/hive_server.py", line 85, in start
    setup_ranger_hive(rolling_upgrade=rolling_restart)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/package/scripts/setup_ranger_hive.py", line 50, in setup_ranger_hive
    hdp_version_override = hdp_version)                 
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/functions/setup_ranger_plugin_xml.py", line 78, in setup_ranger_plugin
    policy_user)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/functions/ranger_functions.py", line 92, in create_ranger_repository
    repo = self.get_repository_by_name_urllib2(repo_name, component, 'true', ambari_username_password_for_ranger)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/functions/ranger_functions.py", line 57, in get_repository_by_name_urllib2
    response = json.loads(result.read())
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_simplejson/__init__.py", line 307, in loads
    return _default_decoder.decode(s)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_simplejson/decoder.py", line 335, in decode
    obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_simplejson/decoder.py", line 353, in raw_decode
    raise ValueError("No JSON object could be decoded")

I've noticed there's a registered bug around this issue but it is unassigned and unresolved -https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-13168

Any ideas how to workaround this issue ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Adi Jabkowsky

There are two users involved - admin (advanced ranger-env) and amb_ranger_admin (admin settings).

Can you verify both users password are correct in ranger and ambari UI?

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Super Collaborator

Did you reset the password in Ranger config in Ambari after ranger admin password change? Ranger property in Advanced ranger-env -> admin_username and admin_password needs to be changed after reseting the Ranger admin password

Super Collaborator

Hi rmani and thank you for replying.

As stated in my question - yes i did reset the password in Ranger UI >>>admin >> profile >> change password and also in Ambari >>>> Ranger >>>Advance ranger-env >>>> admin_password.

Super Collaborator

I have simulated this issue in a different cluster and it is persistent - after changing Ranger's admin's password - in ranger UI & in Ambari >>> Ranger >> Advanced ranger-env - HiveServer2 won't start.

Master Mentor
@Adi Jabkowsky

Changing the password process is sensitive as per my experience

See the following doc.

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.3.4/bk_Ranger_Install_Guide/content/updating_ran...

Super Collaborator

Hi Neeraj and thank you for your reply !

I've went through this doc and did set the password in both of these places in Ambari >> Ranger. (Both under "Admin Settings" >>> Ranger Admin user's password for Ambari" & under Advanced ranger-env >>> admin password).However - problem remains.

It is very easy to reproduce - just change Ranger's admin password in UI + both places in Ambari and see for yourself. HiveServer2, if configured to authorize using Ranger, won't start. It has been confirmed and consistent on two different clusters.

Master Mentor

@Adi Jabkowsky FYI I changed password only in 1 location

Super Collaborator

This bug prohibits us from using Ranger which is a great tool for permission governance.

Master Mentor

@Adi Jabkowsky I have experienced the same issue and to fix that I had to reinstall Ranger.

Do you have access to support?

Let me reproduce this

Super Collaborator

I appreciate your offer but no support agreement yet unfortunately. We are still in (advanced) POC stages...

Thanks a lot anyways !

Highly appreciated.