Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How can I run multiple beeline commands in a script without authenticating every time?

Expert Contributor

As part of a script I'm writing, I'm wanting to get the HDFS location of a list of Hive schemas that's passed in via a text file. The best way I can think to do this is to run a beeline command in a loop that performs a `describe schema` command and extracts the HDFS location of each schema from this output. However, this will require me to authenticate every time I run this command which is inefficient. Is there a better way to programtically get the HDFS locations of a list of Hive schemas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

@Josh Nicholson,

You can put all your sql commands in a file and run the file using beeline.

Ex queries.sql has below statements

describe formatted table1;
describe formatted table2;

You can run the queries.sql like below

beeline -u "{url}" -f queries.sql

Please "Accept" the answer if this helps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Super Guru

@Josh Nicholson,

You can put all your sql commands in a file and run the file using beeline.

Ex queries.sql has below statements

describe formatted table1;
describe formatted table2;

You can run the queries.sql like below

beeline -u "{url}" -f queries.sql

Please "Accept" the answer if this helps.

Expert Contributor

Thanks @Aditya Sirna, I think this will get me what I need. What I'm ultimately trying to get is the HDFS location so I can use it in the script I'm writing. Is performing a describe table and then grepping the output the best way to do this?

Super Guru

@Josh Nicholson,

You can grep for the location. I am not able to think of other solution for now.

Hey Josh:

you could do:

SHOW CREATE TABLE mytable;

and then look for the keyword LOCATION in the output.

When i run that in my sql client, the hdfs path is the next line. You can also look for a line that starts with

'hdfs://

If you want to use this with the information @Aditya Sirna provided, you could have a file with multiple statements like:

SHOW CREATE TABLE mytable;

SHOW CREATE TABLE mytabl1;

SHOW CREATE TABLE mytabl2;

and then filter for lines that start with hdfs. I haven't found a way to get JUST the Location of a table.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Regards