Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How can I save my NiFi flows into XML?

Rising Star

I need to save my NiFi flow into an XML file.

We can import the xml file into template, but I also need to save NiFi flows as an XML file

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

If you select a section of your flow, you can turn that into a template with the New Template button

6011-new-templatetiff.png

You can then use the template manager:

6012-template-managertiff.png

This lists all your templates and allows you to download them as an XML file.

6014-save-templatetiff.png

If you want to save the entire flow you have in the system, you can also find that in nifi/conf/flow.xml.gz on your nifi box. This is not a template, but would be able to drop into a clean NiFi instance.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Guru

If you select a section of your flow, you can turn that into a template with the New Template button

6011-new-templatetiff.png

You can then use the template manager:

6012-template-managertiff.png

This lists all your templates and allows you to download them as an XML file.

6014-save-templatetiff.png

If you want to save the entire flow you have in the system, you can also find that in nifi/conf/flow.xml.gz on your nifi box. This is not a template, but would be able to drop into a clean NiFi instance.

Super Mentor

@Manikandan Durairaj

Simon is completely correct above; however, I want to add a little to his statement about saving the entire flow.xml.gz (Standalone or NiFI Cluster Node) file or flow.tar (NiFi Cluster NCM) file. When you generate templates in NiFi, those dataflows are scrubbed of all encrypted values (passwords). When importing those templates in to another NiFi, the user will need to repopulate all the processor and controller tasks passwords manually. Saving off the flow.xml.gz or flow.tar file will capture the entire flow exactly as it is, encrypted sensitive passwords and all. NiFi will not start if it cannot decrypt these encrypted sensitive properties contained in the flow.xml. When sensitive properties (passwords) are added they are encrypted using these settings from your nifi.properties file:

# security properties #
nifi.sensitive.props.key=
nifi.sensitive.props.algorithm=PBEWITHMD5AND256BITAES-CBC-OPENSSL
nifi.sensitive.props.provider=BC

In order to drop your entire flow.xml.gz or flow.tar onto another clean NiFi, these values must all match exactly. Thanks,

Matt

Explorer

Hi @Matt Clarke, I tried coping flow.xml.gz and nifi.properties security setting but after that NiFi is crashing with below error, any suggestions?

ERROR [main] org.apache.nifi.NiFi Failure to launch NiFi due to java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unable to access properties loader in the expected manner - apparent classpath or build issue
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unable to access properties loader in the expected manner - apparent classpath or build issue.

Explorer

Hi @Matt Clarke, I tried coping flow.xml.gz and nifi.properties security setting but after that NiFi is crashing with below error, any suggestions?

ERROR [main] org.apache.nifi.NiFi Failure to launch NiFi due to java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unable to access properties loader in the expected manner - apparent classpath or build issue
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unable to access properties loader in the expected manner - apparent classpath or build issue

Explorer

Looking at our current environment, seems like there are 2 instances of flow.xml.gz file. One under nifi-node and another under nifi-cluster-manager. Which file do we need to copy over ? Both?

Guru

In a healthy cluster they should both be the same.

Explorer

Ok. The question is if we rehydrate to a new cluster should we copy over the flow files to both locations?

Explorer

Looking at our current environment, seems like there are 2 instances of flow.xml.gz file. One under nifi-node and another under nifi-cluster-manager. Which file do we need to copy over ? Both?

Explorer