Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to connect to Hive through knox from Tableau.

Explorer
  • While trying to connect facing the below exception
  • Unable to connect to the ODBC Data Source. Check that the necessary drivers are installed and that the connection properties are valid.
  • [Hortonworks][HiveODBC] (34) Error from server: SSL_connect: certificate verify failed.
  • Unable to connect to the server "devehdp004.unix.gsm1900.org". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.
  • 1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

Thanks all,I just reinstalled the ODBC driver from 2.2.4 add-ons and it worked..

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Expert Contributor

That seems to indicate that the Knox certificate is not correctly set as trusted.

I am not sure how to do this for ODBC. In the following blog, the truststore and related password are provided in the connect string - for JDBC. The ODBC connect string may have the same idea.

You will need to import the public cert for the Knox server into whatever the truststore is.

Have you read the "Configuring SSL Verification" section (pg 19) of the Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver with SQL Connector User Guide. At a minimum you will need to "Enable SSL" and "Allow Self-signed Server Certificate". You may possibly require "Allow Common Name Host Name Mismatch" if you have DNS setup issues at your site. I'm not totally sure if you need a PEM file if you are using Self-signed certs. Try the above first.

http://hortonworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Hortonworks-Hive-ODBC-Driver-User-Guide.pdf

Explorer

Thanks Kevin,I just reinstalled the ODBC driver from 2.2.4 add-ons and it worked..

Explorer

Thanks all,I just reinstalled the ODBC driver from 2.2.4 add-ons and it worked..