Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to enable IMPALA query option in ODBC connector in Power BI

New Contributor

Hello, is there any one know how to set a query option in ODBC connector in Power BI?

Basically, my SQL query contains 2 statements:

(1) Firstly set a query option to allow the array columns in a PARQUET formatted table to be retrieved

SET PARQUET_ARRAY_RESOLUTION=TWO_LEVEL_THEN_THREE_LEVEL

(2) Then query the table. Without the first statement, all the array columns will appear NULL value. Therefore, the first statement is necessary.

20230719 odbc connector sql.PNG

The 2 statements work properly in HUE SQL console with IMPALA SQL. However it results error in ODBC connector, and it seems that ODBC doesn't allow to set a query option: I mean if I remove the query option "SET PARQUET_ARRAY_RESOLUTION=TWO_LEVEL_THEN_THREE_LEVEL;", the "SELECT" statement simply works...  

20230719 odbc connector error.PNG

Do you know how to resolve this issue? Thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

Master Collaborator

Hi , I think you need to check with Power BI team whether setting parameters at session level is supported or not. It's an issue/limitation at client side.

New Contributor

Thanks for your suggestion. Power BI uses ODBC connector to retrieve data in Cloudera CDP; from the documentation "In Impala 2.0 and later, you can set query options directly through the JDBC and ODBC interfaces by using the SET statement." (https://impala.apache.org/docs/build/html/topics/impala_query_options.html ), and my IMPALA version is "3.2.0-cdh6.3.4". Therefore, Power BI is supposed to be able to run the query option statement... 

However, I will still consult the Power BI end, as you suggested.

Community Manager

@tsunamisabella, If the reply helped resolve your issue, please mark the appropriate reply as the solution, as it will make it easier for others to find the answer in the future.  

Regards,

Vidya Sargur,
Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community: