Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to import/assign metadata to an entities in apache atlas(version 0.5)?

Super Collaborator

I have installed apache atlas version 0.5 on my cluster.I want to see How atlas does data classification?

Could you please send me step by step process for import/assign metadas to an entity?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Manoj Dhake - Depending on how Atlas was installed, you may need to configure the Atlas post execution Hive hook (see: https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.3.0/bk_installing_manually_book/content/configu.... Once this is completed, Atlas will receive notifications from hive for all queries & DDL statements executed resulting in entity creations in Atlas which can be subsequently searched and viewed through the UI.

To import all existing Hive databases, tables, views etc., you can execute the hive-bridge which will perform an import of all of the existing data in the catalog ($ATLAS_HOME/bin/import-hive.sh). This is typically a one time operation.

Once the above steps are completed, you will be able to search for entities in Atlas using the Atlas UI.

Atlas 0.5 (included in HDP-2.3/2.4 provides integration with Hive alone. Atlas 0.7, to be released with HDP-2.5, includes integrations with a broader set of services, including Sqoop, Falcon, Storm & improved Hive integration as well as a slew of other features such as HA, Ranger integration, security, UI improvements, Business Taxonomy etc.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@Manoj Dhake - Depending on how Atlas was installed, you may need to configure the Atlas post execution Hive hook (see: https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.3.0/bk_installing_manually_book/content/configu.... Once this is completed, Atlas will receive notifications from hive for all queries & DDL statements executed resulting in entity creations in Atlas which can be subsequently searched and viewed through the UI.

To import all existing Hive databases, tables, views etc., you can execute the hive-bridge which will perform an import of all of the existing data in the catalog ($ATLAS_HOME/bin/import-hive.sh). This is typically a one time operation.

Once the above steps are completed, you will be able to search for entities in Atlas using the Atlas UI.

Atlas 0.5 (included in HDP-2.3/2.4 provides integration with Hive alone. Atlas 0.7, to be released with HDP-2.5, includes integrations with a broader set of services, including Sqoop, Falcon, Storm & improved Hive integration as well as a slew of other features such as HA, Ranger integration, security, UI improvements, Business Taxonomy etc.

Super Collaborator

Thank you Erik,