Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to register host with different OS to Ambari?

Contributor

I have a cluster that is running on RHEL7. I got an extra host that i would like to add to the cluster, this host is running RHEL6 instead. when I try add it to the cluster via ambari I get the error

"Local OS is not compatible with cluster primary OS family. Please perform manual bootstrap on this host."

I tried installing ambari-agent manually on the RHEL6 machine, edited the ambari-agent.ini file with the right ambari host and restarted the agent.

in ambari-server log I can see this error

"Host xxx.xxx.com re-registered, will not be added to the available hosts list"

Any idea how to pass the OS check on ambari server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_server/os_type_check.sh is the script that Ambari uses to check OS version. After disabling this script, I was able to register the RHEl6 machine to the cluster through Ambari. I also installed all the HDP clients to this node (still have some issues with RPMs management) and was able to run HIVE and Hadoop commands.

Note: my cluster is not kerberized yet, probably more interesting issues will come up when i try to enable kerberos 🙂

Special thanks to Hortonworks support for pointing out the script name.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Master Mentor

Contributor

@Neeraj Sabharwal, Thanks. It looks like no one is able to achieve this setup 😞

Master Mentor

@Wael Emam Def not recommended

Master Mentor

@Wael Emam It may be possible to do it. You would have to be very creative. See this

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/ambari-agent-registration-flow-130308115303-phpapp02/95/ambari-agent-...

Master Mentor

@Wael Emam FYI

The following apporach worked fine

Ambari server and data node is on CentoOs 6.7 and added a node running Centos7 ..no issues.

Master Mentor

@Wael Emam Nice! Not recommended though

Contributor

/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_server/os_type_check.sh is the script that Ambari uses to check OS version. After disabling this script, I was able to register the RHEl6 machine to the cluster through Ambari. I also installed all the HDP clients to this node (still have some issues with RPMs management) and was able to run HIVE and Hadoop commands.

Note: my cluster is not kerberized yet, probably more interesting issues will come up when i try to enable kerberos 🙂

Special thanks to Hortonworks support for pointing out the script name.

Expert Contributor

We have HDP 2.4 on Debian 7. There is no /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_server/os_type_check.sh installed - only os_check_type.py. And all it checks is whether the current node OS matches the cluster, not whether the OS version is supported.

/usr/lib/ambari-server/lib/ambari_commons/resources/os_family.json seems to list the supported OS versions (e.g. RedHat 6/7, Debian 7, Ubuntu 12/14) which matches documentation.

New Contributor

I achieved this feat using Ambari version 2.6(Not sure about lower version)

It requires manual intervention in installing ambari-agent

I have documented steps here

http://www.v3bigdata.in/2018/01/hdp-multi-os-type-and-version-support.html