Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Insert overwrite query failing with Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.MoveTask

Contributor

I am a running a insert overwrite query as below.

Insert overwrite directory '/org/data/tmp/webapptempspace/UC3/log' select a.* from a join b on ucase(a.name)=ucase(b.name);

It works fine when one of the table has smaller dataset, but when both tables have huge data, it throws the below error.

Failed with exception Unable to move source /org/data/tmp/webapptempspace/UC3/log/.hive-staging_hive_2016-01-11_04-31-06_067_6297667876520454770-1/-ext-10000
to destination 
15 REPLIES 15

Master Mentor

@pooja khandelwal Please check the hive log details and see if you have permission to write.

Contributor

Yes, I have permission to write. I am able to run the query for a smaller dataset, but not for a larger dataset.

Explorer

I met the same problem. @pooja khandelwal has this been resolved? Can you provide your solution or accept the best answer?

New Contributor

This could be permission issue. you can see  the hive server2 log for the error. Log will be in /var/log/hive on the node to which you connect the hive 

Contributor

My table 'a' has text format and 'b' has orc format. When I keep both as text, it is working fine.

Contributor

Is there any more information in the logs? (If you're using HiveServer2, the you can look at those logs, or your client logs if you are using the Hive client directly.) The error is caused by a file system error where it's unable to move the file. The file system should log an error message describing why it failed.

Expert Contributor

What MoveTask does is moving some files in /tmp volume to /user volume. When the user running doesn't have the right permissions it does not allow moving files between volumes and throws this exception.

Possible workarounds-

-Check /user and /tmp have the full permission

-Check if the below guys are set to true

hive.metastore.client.setugi=true and

hive.metastore.server.setugi=true. These parameters instruct hive execute jobs under current shell user

if not then try executing it as root.

Expert Contributor

Master Mentor

@pooja khandelwal has this been resolved? Can you provide your solution or accept the best answer?