Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Is "ALTER user hue quota 100m on system;" mandatory when install Hue metadata on Oracle database?

New Contributor

Hi,

I'm going to install Cloudera on a customer required Oracle for store CDH Metadata. System DBA asked me if the property

ALTER user hue quota 100m on system;

is mandatory and why.

Someone knows if I can skip safely this command?

Thanks in advance.

Roberto

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

@roberto10 

Apologies for typo errors in my previous post.
1. Hue also needs a quota on SYSTEM tablespace because so that can stored Non Hue user specific data in that tablespace.
2. Any Hue specific information that is stored in DB in table or some format could be assume as object.
3. If you don't give quota on SYSTEM tablespace it will broke at some point because it might store all info in one tablespace and after that will confuse to diffrentiate.
You might be intrested to read below document, it's very nice doc to understand the quota concept.
https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/DBSEG/users.htm#DBSEG573

Cheers!
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Master Guru
@roberto10
Assigning a quota does two things:

1. Users with privileges to create certain types of objects can create those objects in the specified tablespace.
2. Oracle limits the amount of space that can be allocated for storage of a user's objects within the specified tablespace to the amount of the quota.

By default, a user has no quota on any tablespace in the database. If the user has the privilege to create a schema object, you must assign a quota to allow the user to create objects. Minimally, assign users a quota for the default tablespace, and additional quotas for other tablespaces in which they can create objects.

So every step in the document is recommended While cresting Hue database to run Hue smooth.
https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/hue_dbs_oracle_pkg.html#concept_t3s_...

Cheers!
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

New Contributor

Thanks @GangWar for your reply and explanation.

I understand Hue needs a quota on its tablespace but what I would to know is why Hue need also a quota on SYSTEM tablespace? What kind of objects does it create on this tablespace? And what happens if I don't give a quota to Hue on SYSTEM tablespace?

Thanks again for your support

Master Guru

@roberto10 

1. Hue also needs a quota on SYSTEM tablespace because so that can stored Non Hue user specific data in that tablespace. 

2. Any Hue speccific information that is stored in DB could be assume as obeject.

3. You you don't give quota on SYSTEM tablespace it will broke at some point because it might store all info in one tablespace and afterthat will confuse to diffrentiate. 

You might need to read below document, it's very nice doc to get all of your answers.

Cheers!

Master Guru

@roberto10 

Apologies for typo errors in my previous post.
1. Hue also needs a quota on SYSTEM tablespace because so that can stored Non Hue user specific data in that tablespace.
2. Any Hue specific information that is stored in DB in table or some format could be assume as object.
3. If you don't give quota on SYSTEM tablespace it will broke at some point because it might store all info in one tablespace and after that will confuse to diffrentiate.
You might be intrested to read below document, it's very nice doc to understand the quota concept.

Cheers!

Master Guru

@roberto10 If that resolves your issue, please spare some time in accepting the solution. Thanks.

Cheers!