Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Is there a way to force Ranger user-sync to run manually?

Master Guru

...Well, short of restarting Ranger of course. I have ranger.usersync.sleeptimeinmillisbetweensynccycle=60000, but after adding a new user in LDAP, sometimes it appears in Ranger quickly, and sometimes not even after 15 minutes.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Restarting is the only way

View solution in original post

@Predrag Minovic Do a

vi /etc/ranger/usersync/conf/ranger-ugsync-site.xml

What is in your ranger.usersync.source.impl.class property?

2596-screen-shot-2016-03-04-at-12952-am.png

Yes try in a chron job run for Unix:

java -Dlogdir=/var/log/ranger/usersync -cp "/usr/hdp/current/ranger-usersync/dist/unixusersync-0.5.0.2.3.2.0-2950.jar:/usr/hdp/current/ranger-usersync/lib/*:/etc/ranger/usersync/conf" org.apache.ranger.unixusersync.process.UnixUserGroupBuilder

OR for LDAP

java -Dlogdir=/var/log/ranger/usersync -cp  "/usr/hdp/current/ranger-usersync/dist/unixusersync-0.5.0.2.3.2.0-2950.jar:/usr/hdp/current/ranger-usersync/lib/*:/etc/ranger/usersync/conf" org.apache.ranger.unixusersync.process.PolicyMgrUserGroupBuilder

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Restarting is the only way

@Predrag Minovic Do a

vi /etc/ranger/usersync/conf/ranger-ugsync-site.xml

What is in your ranger.usersync.source.impl.class property?

2596-screen-shot-2016-03-04-at-12952-am.png

Yes try in a chron job run for Unix:

java -Dlogdir=/var/log/ranger/usersync -cp "/usr/hdp/current/ranger-usersync/dist/unixusersync-0.5.0.2.3.2.0-2950.jar:/usr/hdp/current/ranger-usersync/lib/*:/etc/ranger/usersync/conf" org.apache.ranger.unixusersync.process.UnixUserGroupBuilder

OR for LDAP

java -Dlogdir=/var/log/ranger/usersync -cp  "/usr/hdp/current/ranger-usersync/dist/unixusersync-0.5.0.2.3.2.0-2950.jar:/usr/hdp/current/ranger-usersync/lib/*:/etc/ranger/usersync/conf" org.apache.ranger.unixusersync.process.PolicyMgrUserGroupBuilder

Master Guru

This looks promising, I'll try it very soon.

Explorer

@Ancil McBarnett

Trying to run this, but I'm getting ( Ranger 0.5.0.2.4 )

# java -Dlogdir=/var/log/ranger/usersync -cp "/usr/hdp/current/ranger-usersync/dist/unixusersync-0.5.0.2.4.0.0-169.jar:/usr/hdp/current/ranger-usersync/lib/*:/etc/ranger/usersync/conf" org.apache.ranger.unixusersync.process.PolicyMgrUserGroupBuilder Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/apache/ranger/unixusersync/process/PolicyMgrUserGroupBuilder : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0 at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method) at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:643) at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142) at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:277) at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:73) at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:212) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:323) at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:268) Could not find the main class: org.apache.ranger.unixusersync.process.PolicyMgrUserGroupBuilder. Program will exit.

Super Collaborator

The correct class for LDAP/AD is

org.apache.ranger.ldapusersync.process.LdapUserGroupBuilder

Contributor

Hi @Predrag Minovic,

You can set the interval of UserSync by ranger.usersync.sleeptimeinmillisbetweensynccycle, but there's a minimum value for each UserSync source.

Please check https://github.com/apache/incubator-ranger/blob/master/ugsync/src/main/java/org/apache/ranger/unixus...

and grep this code by "UGSYNC_SLEEP_TIME_IN_MILLIS_BETWEEN_CYCLE_LDAP_DEFAULT_VALUE".

In UNIX, 1 minute, but in LDAP, 1 hour.

I think this is the reason of "sometimes not even after 15 minutes."

Explorer

Hello,

I have the same problem, as they say spends a lot of time and does not synchronize with the AD, only way restarting the service. But I wanted to know if there was any way to do it manually and force the synchronize.

I found a way but I wanted to know if they have a less invasive way

https://sugan.fun/2018/08/06/quick-modify-jar-class/

Greetings

Cloudera Employee

A bit late to the party, but hope the following will help.

By calling the main functions of the classes, 

UnixUserGroupBuilder, PolicyMgrUserGroupBuilder or LdapUserGroupBuilder

is not going to work, since the main classes of these are only initializing the classes. In order to start the actual sync, the function updateSink needs to be called. During startup this is handled by the class

org.apache.ranger.usergroupsync.UserGroupSync

thus, calling its main function will trigger the syncing using the configuration that you set in your cluster.

A complete example for triggering the usersync manually could be:

java -Dlogdir=/var/log/ranger/usersync -cp "/usr/hdp/current/ranger-usersync/dist/unixusersync-1.2.0.3.1.5.135-2.jar:/usr/hdp/current/ranger-usersync/lib/*:/etc/ranger/usersync/conf" org.apache.ranger.usergroupsync.UserGroupSync

for HDP and

java -Dlogdir=/var/log/ranger/usersync -cp "/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH/lib/ranger-usersync/dist/unixusersync-2.1.7.1.7.0-460.jar:/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH/lib/ranger-usersync/lib/*:/etc/ranger/usersync/conf" org.apache.ranger.usergroupsync.UserGroupSync

for CDP.